Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Chief Top Fender Twim

Hello,
    I was asked by a friend to help install the top fender trim pieces on both fenders of a 1940 Chief. These are replacement fenders so there are no existing trim mounting holes. He asked me to measure the strips on my 1940 Four which I've done, however he says he as a total of eight strips while my 4 only has 4 (2 each for front and rear). It's extremely likely that the 4 is not factory correct. In any case can someone supply measurements on the placement of these trim pieces for a Chief including the center to center spacing?

As always your help is greatly appreciated!

Steve Slaminko

Are you talking about the trim on the sides that follow the radius of the fender skirt or something additional on the top part of the fender?

Comment

Hi again,

I should have done more research into this before I posted. It seems my friend purchased an 8 piece trim kit that included the side trim as well as the top trim for both fenders. I'll bet it's going to be no fun trying to form the "as bought" straight side trim to fit! Anyhow if anyone could supply top trim dimension for the two top pieces on both fenders that would be great.

Sorry for the false start!

Steve

Comment

As you probably know, 1940 Indian top fender trim is 5/16" half round aluminum, and one year only, (I believe). I had a '40 Chief and should have documented the dimensions you need for top trim location; but I didn't (sorry). I had to make the trim for my fender because Alan Forbes (who made reproductions) didn't make enough for everyone back in those days. I got the dimensions from an O.P. '40 that Toney Watson had. I recall that it was a terrible job to get that trim bent to match the outside fender radius, but compounded by having to twist it to the crown radius of the fender. In looking at the trim on original 1940 Chiefs, and Fours, it was never perfect from the factory. Getting it right is a long and tedious job, and best done on a fender that is not in finished paint.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I'm assuming that the fenders are already painted? I've never tried to mold a fender strip but I imagine it takes some patience. I think with the side trim I would cut a pattern of the radius in some poster board. Then transfer that pattern to a suitable piece of wood and the router the pattern into the wood. At that point you could use a soft piece of wood or plastic to coax the trim in to the pattern. You could pound nails into the wood to use as leverage points. Someone may have a better idea. I'm just sort of spitballing here.

Comment

Thanks William & Eric,

William - The fenders aren't painted yet so that's a plus. The fact that I don't have to try to form them is also a plus.

Eric - We could write an entire screen play on what I don't know about these old bikes. My 1940 4 that I've owned for 35+ years does not have the 5/16" half round trim you describe. I compared it to what's on my later Indian Chiefs and it is the same as those. I guess it a good thing I don't plan on having it judged! It will be interesting to see if the trim my friend bought has the correct cross section.

Steve

Comment

I am in need of the correct half round for the rear of my 440 if anyone has any.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Call Todd at Jerry Greer’s Engineering. He has the correct 1 yearconly trim as a complete kit . You will have to curve it. I used a rim which worked perfectly. Take your time and it’s pretty straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                X