Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco Remy relay for 1935 VLD

Hello all!

Can someone please tell me what is a good safe product to clean a relay. I recently bought a relay that was covered in grease, oil and dirt. It looks like everything is contained to the outside and underneath, so I would like to really clean it up a lot better than I have and make it look like it once did. I was also wondering if anyone can tell me if some of the coils are not as straight as the others, if this means anything, like over heated or damaged and the bottom felt? below the coil has a split in it, it looks like that's where the coil goes through to the bottom, but I'm just not sure? (I'll attach pictures)......and last , but not least, I'm not sure if this is what would have come on my bike (1935 VLD), it has a lot of the characteristics that I have found in the pages of Steve Slocombe's and Johnny Sell's books, but there are also a lot that it doesn't have. It has bat. on one side, doesn't have gen. on the other, it has the three holes on the mounting bracket, but doesn't have Delco Remy or made in the USA on it, the cover has the same cut outs on both ends, so I'm just not sure. Again, I have attached pictures. Thank you for any information anyone can provide.

Frank
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chessie Jake; 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM.

Most auto parts stores sell spray cans of electrical cleaner.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
      Thanks a lot for the info., I appreciate it.

Frank

Comment

Frank, be very carful here as modern electrical cleaner could easily eat the insulation off that wire. I'd just use some lacquer thinner on a rag and clean the contacts. The oil and grim aren't going to hurt the coil wires. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob L,

Will do. Thank you for the advice and information.

Frank

Comment

Frank,

That relay looks quite serviceable, of course you won't know until you connect it and try though. I would clean the points with a points file, very gently. I use Simple Green spray for parts like that. Let it sit for a bit and scrub it off with a tooth brush and hot water. Repeat if needed. No need to immerse it in water, just a light rinse. Water won't hurt it all, just dry it out good with the air gun and then set in front of the heater for a few hours. It will look 1000 times better!

Gene

Comment

Gene,

Thanks a million for your input. I'm as green as can be when it comes to working on these old beauties. From what I have been told, Delco Remy used a lot of different relays during this time, is there any way to find out if this was one of them or what ones were used on my bike? I've looked at Steve and Johnny Sells books and it looks close, but is not the same. Again, Thanks a million for your input.

Frank
              Last edited by Chessie Jake; 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X