Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLD Rear fender fit - what the heck is wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLD Rear fender fit - what the heck is wrong?

After many years of searching, I located a rear fender for the 36 VLD. It all started with good karma, as I found remnants of Venetian Blue on it - a correct factory color for 36, and my color of choice for this build. I've spent hours welding up holes, removing and straightening the brace, reforming the mangled wire harness tunnel, hammering out dents, etc. etc. Now, I've reassembled it to check for fit and alignment, using screws & nuts, the rivets will go back once the fit is correct. The issue is that the rear section does not come down far enough for proper fender alignment when the braces meet up. The pictures tell the story. The forward fender bracket is bolted to the frame, so its sitting correctly on the bike. I've also pulled the braces out far enough to the sides so the fender aligns, it's as if the braces are too long! One side of the brace has been repaired with a new section, but it matches in length the side that hasn't been fussed with.

What could be wrong? Is this fender actually not for a 36 VLD? I could cut the braces down, but I hate to do that. I'd hoping someone who has wrestled with these before recognizes an issue this novice is making.
    IMG_0134.jpgIMG_0135.jpgIMG_0136.jpgIMG_0139.jpgIMG_0140_LI.jpg
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

I'd make sure the front lower mudguard mount behind the gearbox is done up tight, and mount the battery box, before doing anything drastic.

Comment

Chris,
      I checked a couple fenders here and came up with the middle brace 8.5" from the fender edge and the top of the clip: IMG_2422 VL SIDE MARKED.jpg and the front attach clip is about 14.5" IMG_2424.jpg. Hope that helps
      I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

Steve,
        Okay, the battery box is now mounted up (finger tight only) and it didn't shift the fender at all, it was already forward and flush. Never mind the incorrect hardware, I'm still stumped as to why the rear portion does not drop enough.
        IMG_0174.jpgIMG_0173.jpg
        Last edited by NCriding; 01-16-2019, 08:45 PM.
        1936 VLD in process
        2006 KTM 950 Adventure
        2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Grumpa,
          Thanks for the measurements, they match my fender. Does that confirm it's correct for a VLD?
          1936 VLD in process
          2006 KTM 950 Adventure
          2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

I think your braces are bent, like the fender braces were squished in from the sides. When the mounting plates are lined up with the frame holes does the plate line up parallel to the center line of the frame and perpendicular to the ground?
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, you are referring to the plates that bolt to the frame by the rear axle? They are straight now, after much work on my part. The braces were very bent and twisted, I had to remove the rivets and butterfly plate to take it off for rework. There was no chance of straightening it when connected to the fender.

Now, everything lines up very nice and easy, no force needed, except the rear section of the dang fender!
              1936 VLD in process
              2006 KTM 950 Adventure
              2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Did you ever figure out what the problem is with your fender?

Comment

Maybe the rear side braces have been over straightened?

Comment

When the braces get bent back and forth does the metal stretch. Both sides seem to be off by about the same amount so his theory might be way off.

Comment

I notice your front bracket doesn't have the chain guard bracket on it and no visible holes where it is supposed to be riveted on. The rear brackets appear to be home made and don't have the right bends.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

i think you have riveted the plates on wrong if you reverse them it will fit

Comment

Plates look correct, i measured my rear strut at 9" to the bend from the bracket.
                          Louie
                          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your continued interest in this thread. Long story short, I have not yet resolved the issue. I've been traveling the past couple of weeks, so I'll address a number of replies here.

Steve - I've carefully bent he braces to match photos of an original VLD at the HD museum, plus some nicely restored bikes. The upper and lower brace bends are only a few degrees each. Bending the lower braces enough to solve the issue would be a several angle of maybe 15-20 degrees. I've never seen a brace bent nearly that much.

Dusty Dog - I'm pretty certain metal stretching is not the issue, as the lower braces are perhaps 1/2" too long.

Chris - Sharp eye on the front bracket! You are correct on the holes for the chain guard bracket, looks like someone welded them up, but I can tell where they were. I'll re-drill them once I get this alignment issue squared away. Concerning the rear brackets, I'm pretty certain the entire bracket is original as the thickness, surface texture, and edge rounding finish are consistent, plus I don't believe the butterfly had ever been removed, prior to me doing it. The right brace had a poorly made end welded on, which I cut off and rewelded a slightly-less-poorly made end. I still have some work to do there as the width is slightly off. You state the braces don't have the right bends (as Steve suggests), is there a measurement you could provide that would help me know exactly what amount of bend is correct? What I have now is my guess based on photos. Wish I had a good brace to compare it to.

Arozmij - The plates are correct, compared to several other known good bikes.

LouieMCman - Will you be at the AMCA meeting at Barber on Saturday?

I could swear my brace bends are identical to this 36 VLD at the HD museum. This is an original bike, never restored, always owned by HD.
                            36VLH2481.jpg36VLH2482.jpg
                            1936 VLD in process
                            2006 KTM 950 Adventure
                            2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

I make those rear braces 10.5" overall length with about a ten degree bend in the middle. That must the biggest rear mudguard Harley ever made, and it's had a lot of work on it so could be distorted. Filling the chainguard bracket holes looks suspicious, as if it was once altered for another bike. Later mudguards are made for 18 inch wheels, not 19 inch, so have a slightly tighter radius. If the front section of the rear mudguard has been altered for a later bike, or has parts of one in it, that also might just explain your closure problem. The hinge is not yet riveted in, so I would do all that and tighten down all fixings then check again. If you have to shorten one or both rear braces, well, that will be what it takes.

Comment

Working...
                              X