Side stand leg return spring plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side stand leg return spring plate

Doing a test fitting of my center and side stands before painting and it appears that there isn't enough room between the trans and the side stand return spring plate to get the top screw/bolt in.

Does the return spring plate need to be installed before dropping in the motor, or am I missing something?
    Thanks

I'm going to take a picture....be right back!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I didn't remember that detail, but I think you're right... probably not impossible to mount the plate after the gearbox is in, but it would be a whole lot easier to do it before... that top screw is in a tight spot. (Man it's dirty under there!)

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        I didn't remember that detail, but I think you're right... probably not impossible to mount the plate after the gearbox is in, but it would be a whole lot easier to do it before... that top screw is in a tight spot. (Man it's dirty under there!)

Thanks Harry! With no responses I was wondering if it was a stupid question, or something that never needs to be replaced. I spent some more time this morning and it definetly looks like I'm going to have to raise the engine/tranny, but still not sure if there's enough space between the head and the frame it raise it enough to get the screw in with the bracket.
        Here's what I'm seeing:
        IMG_1525.jpg

Hope to get mine dirty soon!

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
          Here's what I'm seeing:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]23521[/ATTACH]
          Aha! Sorry I don't recall it being a problem, nor do I recall which I mounted first...engine and gearbox or spring plate (I think I would have remembered lifting the engine just to get that screw in!) The only thing that may be possible is that the new reproduction screw was made to a standard length, while an original factory screw may have been shorter? Doesn't seem like a critical application, mostly for keeping the plate from turning while the bottom bolt does most of the work, and a shorter screw catching fewer threads might be just as good. If it were shorter then you could get it in with an angled screwdriver!

Looks like you're getting close!

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            Aha! Sorry I don't recall it being a problem, nor do I recall which I mounted first...engine and gearbox or spring plate (I think I would have remembered lifting the engine just to get that screw in!) The only thing that may be possible is that the new reproduction screw was made to a standard length, while an original factory screw may have been shorter? Doesn't seem like a critical application, mostly for keeping the plate from turning while the bottom bolt does most of the work, and a shorter screw catching fewer threads might be just as good. If it were shorter then you could get it in with an angled screwdriver!

Looks like you're getting close!
            Thanks Harry! It is a new Geers screw and it does look like its longer then it needs to be, and I beleive that if I cut it to leave around a 1/4" of threads beyond the plate I may be able to get it in. With some locktite and the lower bolt should do the job. I'll let you know how it goes.

I apreciate the help and the pictures.

Comment

I took hundreds of photos during my teardown, clean up and reassembly. I would be glad to post any that might help you. I mounted the engine and transmission last so I didn't encounter your challenge. Mine is a 1947. Were there 2 different side stands used?

Larry Gibson

Comment

Working...
              X