Beware ,American Cycle Fabrication – Paul and Denise Friebus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware ,American Cycle Fabrication – Paul and Denise Friebus

I sent my DAH engine and transmission carb and intake to Paul Friebus American Cycle Fabrication Inc. in March 2011, reason being he is by all accounts one of the best Harley guys around. I have waited patiently because of the scope of the project and sent up two frames, front end, rims, handlebars etc. for Paul to finish the project completely. I have also given a 6000 dollar deposit. I appreciate Paul has had some major personal issues of loss recently and in the past but all I want is communication. I have asked Denise multiple times for at least one picture to show any progress on my bike, but there is no communication.
    Finally got a hold of him at the end of September and he said "for sure" he will have it done by the end of October. Surprise...not answering the phone or emails or through there eBay account.
    I have contacted a lawyer in Bloomsberg Pa and discussing Mail Fraud because I sent the bank draft through the mail and going to get the police involved as well.
    Please let other's to be aware of this situation and by all accounts my predicament is starting to be other's as well.
    Thank you, Tyler Senga, Regina Sk Canada

imageproxy-1.php.jpg First picture

Comment

Image 2018-01-27 at 7.35 AM.jpg. DSC_0305.jpg. some pics

Comment

[imageproxy-4.php.jpgDSC_0318.jpgImage 2018-01-27 at 7.34 AM.jpgimageproxy-4.php.jpg some pics
        Last edited by beaumonts; 11-17-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

some pics
          Last edited by beaumonts; 11-17-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaumonts View Post
            I sent my DAH engine and transmission carb and intake to Paul Friebus American Cycle Fabrication Inc. in March 2011,
            That's a long time to wait, must be frustrating to lose communication like that! Maybe there's an AMCA member who is more local who knows him and can figure this out for you? You've been really patient to wait 7+ years, if he hasn't finished by now maybe you should collect everything and start over. Bummer to see a well reputed, good intentioned, honest, and self-employed craftsman get over committed when life's problems intervene. Hope it works out for you (and him)!
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I told Paul when I spoke to him last, just want my stuff back and my cash. He said it would be done, I wanted to believe him but I though one more chance. At this point it has gone past that point and my only recourse is going to be lawyer/police.

Comment

What you described is not fraud, which requires intent at the time the money is solicited. Don't be surprised if the police do nothing unless you have evidence of a crime.
                Failing to keep a promise in timely fashion is governed by contract law as a civil matter, unless he has (for example) stolen some of the parts, sold them to someone else, etc.
                I would start putting together a time line beginning with the first communication. The content of phone calls is largely a matter of "he said, she said", and "I don't remember it that way", but obviously letters, cashed checks, e-mails have weight.
                You'll see complaints on another board here: http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/se...ican+cycle+fab
                The Linkert Book

Comment

The Fraud the lawyer was talking about is Mail Fraud, because I sent the bank transfer through the mail. I'm not sure of the laws in the states just going by what the lawyer said. I have lots of pics of my parts and correspondence from the first time I spoke to his late wife Barbara as well as my original shipping documents and the second set of shipping documents from when I shipped the frames , wheels, handlebars and front end up.

Comment

Good Luck. Unless you have a detailed, signed contract specifying the completion date I don't think lawyers will do you any good. As long as you can prove ownership of the parts you sent him you should be able to get them back by the law. I suppose the money has been spent on other things and is not still laying on the kitchen table so that is why he is in no hurry to give you your parts and money back. I wish both parties the best. So many deals in this hobby go the route yours has. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Comment

I hope to get my cash and bike/parts back but I just want to make sure know one else sends there bikes and cash to Paul and Denise. Everyone I have spoke to privately have said Paul is one of the most intelligent men they have met and a incredible builder, the times I spoke to Paul on the phone he is super positive engaging gentlemen and just a great dude to talk to. He has built record holding bikes for bonneville among other world class 45's.
                      This is why I picked Paul and the reason I have been so patient, if you want the best you have to be patient.
                      I don't think Paul is a malicious or dishonest person but the situation in his life right now is affecting other's like myself.

Comment

I dont know how far away you live from him, but, you screwed up the FIRST thing you should have done was showing up at his shop with 2 or 3 witnesses (preferrabley big dudes), and have a look -see for yourself, demand to see where your stuff was, and take it home with you.

So many people think that a thousand miles or so insulates them from the reality of a ball bat in the face, but sometimes THAT reality needs to be an ever present possibility.

I have just gone through a similar situation. My last phone call included my being on his doorstep in one week if my parts werent sent IMMEDIATELY priority mail.
                        I cleared my schedule to make an 800 mile drive.....and maigically, my stuff showed up in the mail.

A little well placed anger during the conversation does help too.

I have a shop, and have rebuilt 100s of motors,( dont anymore, but) NEVER has anyone had to wait more than 18 months. To get somebody really good....7 years later they start thinking its theirs......rediculous!!!!

Comment

Plan B and Plan C :)

Comment

I agree with Tom about showing up in person. Years ago I did a deal with a guy in Gainesville, Florida over an early J, and VL. Things weren't working out, and communication steadily broke down. He was a big guy, and known to be on the crazy side; but still a likable chap. I told him I would be at his house with a truck in a few days, and even though a lot of scary scenarios played in my mind, it all worked out. He wasn't a crook, but he had a lot of distractions in his life, in addition to some health problems. The money would be the only thing that could get complicated for you. I think you should set a date to be there, and pick the stuff up. I believe that would be far less complicated than getting the law involved.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

All this free legal advice is pretty much useless. I have been dealing with Paul for about 15 years (he has done several knuckle and pan motors for me) and was also having trouble with the last knuckle motor I took him. Zero communication after Joel left and not much when he was there. I finally went up after 20 months and confronted him ( not aggressively but firmly) and we discussed where they were on my motor and was shown the work and parts. I was worried that parts were lost or misplaced but to my surprise it was all labeled and placed together on trays in it own shelf space. He said give him 2 weeks and he would have it done. I said I would give him a month figuring that's what it would really take. All of the machine work and welding etc. was already done so it was really just the assembly, which shouldn't have taken two weeks either but..... Anyway they called and said my motor was done and I said I had some doctors appointments and would be up the following Thurs. morning. Well, me and a buddy, went up and got there a little past noon and he was furiously working on it and was just starting to put the case halves together. I said I thought you told me it was ready to pick up. No reply but said if I could wait a half hour it would be done and then he would put it in test frame and run on the dyno for test tune and break in. I looked at my buddy rolled our eyes and we both know that wasn't going to happen like that. I was bound and determined not to leave with out that motor so and I think Paul caught that. So we waited and watched as he worked to get it together. I was worried he would short cut something but he didn't. He had some issues (flywheel end play being one) along the way but addressed each one as they came up and didn't take any short cuts along the way. It was 1:30 am. when he finally got it in the test frame and rolled it to the dyno. It was 3:30 am when me and my buddy finally loaded up the motor and headed out. Paul stayed with it diligently the entire time to get it done. We talked about the whole situation and the fact that he took in way too much work and that drive up work was getting in the way of the motors and other shop work and how he can handle the load. He said he had 7 knuckle motors to get through then was going to start back on flat heads after that. He still has a model 52 genny and a another set of knuckle cases of mine that he needs to get back to me. This overly long explanation is the best insight I can offer to you for your situation. I would recommend that you go and see him and get your parts back and find someone else to do the motor for you. Send a certified /registered letter to him letting him know your coming. Paul is one of the best but not if he has had you motor for 7 years. As for the cash that is going to be a tough one unless you have a receipt. He might cop to it right away and cut you a check but doubt he has that much just sitting around. Good Luck!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                              AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
                              X