First road run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First road run

As anyone can tell I'm new here. The idea of a road one sounds great and I want to do one. I will be in Texas in March/April and plan to attend the Fandango event and Cherokee run. How do these runs work? I see it lasts 2-3 days. Are they set up to go out on different routes every day, or do you go out and stay at different locations every night?

Thanks and think spring
    Bill #34485
    68 FLH

Each day is a new ride but back to the host hotel each evening. I will be in Texas as well as a couple of other ones. I have been doing them for a number of years and you will see a fair number of the same folks at each one and quick friendships develop People break up into small groups and ride together generally according to style, speed, friendship or other factors. Gas stops and lunches are planned and figured based on how far most bikes can go before needing fuel. If you have small tank such as a Sportster you may need to stop more often. Chase truck has extra fuel and if need be haul you back. You have to try not to have fun on these as they are pretty well planned generally but each one is unique. See ya in Texas! Make sure you go over your bike carefully and thoroughly before you go to try and eliminate a breakdown. No fun in that.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Howdy sir,

In addition to breaking out into small groups of friends, a developing trend in the last couple of years for those who want to completely enjoy the ride without giving any thought to navigation, figuring out distance between fuel stops, or even slightly straying from the route maps to view local spots of interests is the introduction of route captains from the local chapters.

At this point in the evolving format, depending on the amount of participants there may be from three to 8 captain lead groups, dispatched in intervals from the host hotel. The understanding being the type “A” s go out first with the chilled out ones desiring to make a full day of it heading out last. 25 years ago I was solidly in the former with 3 - 5 carefully vetted wingmen, now we’re contendedly moseing down the road at 45 - 55 mph at the rear. This has been a most pleasant addition.

Besides prep’g your machine - it gets very remote south of Kerrville, full service stations with tools infrequent - if you haven’t already I would ride your machine as much as possible to develop an affinity for it in every situation, a predictable dance partner. The most frequent observation by those new to these events is they did not realize how much more challenging it was to ride a machine they were otherwise familiar with (smoothly) in such close proximity to so many other vintage machines......say, 8 - 10 folks with foot clutches all starting off in sync from a traffic light on an incline. Texas will be pretty wide open so this will be a good venue for that first time experience.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

After many years in the AMCA I finally went on my first Road Run last year in Chattanooga, Tenn. My business prevents me from going as it is a summer time business. Boy, I never knew how much fun I missed. It was a blast. We had groups of 12 to 30. I went with the same group each day of about 12-15. You get to make new friends and hang with old ones. I am going to make sure this becomes and annual event to at least go on one every year. We ran about 50-60 mph and it was a fine speed for my Panhead. The banquet was great. The only thing I was a bit surprised at was the fact it was based in a pretty busy area as far as traffic went. It didn't take far to get out of the traffic area however it would have been better if it was more remotely based.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Thanks for the response, sounds like fun. Looking forward to not being in a hurry in Texas
          Bill #34485
          68 FLH

Comment

Everything others above said and more! I did the Kerrville run in 2014 & will cherish the memories forever, you can't have more fun legally... If/when you have
            ANY problem(s) everyone helps everyone, you're never left on the side of the road.
            0416141108.jpg0415141034.jpg0414140935.jpg
            0413141618a.jpg
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

All great feedback above. I'm still pretty new at it but fully concur its a great time. Its a good idea to arrive a day ahead of check in/registration so you can get familiar with the area and start to make contacts. There is an opening banquet the night of registration and that's also a good time to hook up with a like minded riding chaps for Day 1s ride.
              Some folks bring more than 1 bike incase one breaks down or just to ride something different. Exactly as Peter stated above ride your bike frequently and make sure its as ready as possible.....although many wing it and make no preparation! Its a good trip down from MI to TX so you don't want sidelined with a breakdown after the first day. Routes are usually 150-200 miles/day with last day typically being shorter maybe around 100. In light of a breakdown, indeed you won't be left stranded and sweep truck will pick you up but depending when, where, and who may have broken down before you, there is potential to wait along side the road a long time. Not speaking from personal experience, just observations of others. Best to do what you can to not break down.

As far as the routes some folks don't care if they make a wrong turn and get lost. That's the fun of it for them. I'm a little more anal and like to study the route map the night before going as far as looking at it from satellite images as well as a printed map and make notes. You can't predict when conditions might separate you from the leader so its a good idea to be familiar where you are going. There were a couple occasions in the Black Hills where I started as a follower (assuming the folks out front knew where they were going) but I ended up in the lead because the front runner missed turns.

Lastly - You can't assume there will be cell service in all areas during the run so don't get too reliant on technology to bail you out!
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Howdy chaps,

By far the biggest challenge to putting on a Road Run is locating a suitable agreeable host facility. What with parking needs (trailers, toter homes and at times 200 machines languishing about the property, and with the more astute realizing a Valdez of oil residue to be left behind) far exceeding AMCA guest number requirements many realize though we may block a third to half their facility, in essence the envisioned inconvenience to remaining guests means we’re essentially taking over. And that’s just the start. Our bullet list expands well beyond the typical guest requirements to include on site breakfast (run departures commmencing at 9), ample flat parking well beyond that required for single guest/vehicle needs, safe suburban/rural location for ease of access to routes and a minimum of on site rules (discussed in a moment).

Ideally a restaurant ....more ideally, a bar, a conference room adequate to accomodate 200 people and forgoing of usual restrictions such as open containers in the parking lot, trailers, a sense of humor about late night boisterous loitering, machine’s tightly packed under the canopy at the lobby door and acceptance of the knowledge some are camping on site is a plus. Two come to mind as excellent examples, so likely frowned upon by their corporate headquarters, the proprietors shall not be named but they’re located in Kerrville and LaCrosse, the latter a Hail Mary substitute by the beleaguered Driftless chapter who hosting their first run expertly overcame the huge challenge of the original host hotel fire and historic flooding at every turn. That one even included a deck, live band, tiki hut bar, all overlooking the Miss river, one of the best in my decades of runs.

Meanwhile, below is a link to a sampling of Road Runs to include the 2012 Texas event, likely to follow the same roads though the host venue will be different.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/AMCA-Road-Runs
                Cheerio,
                Peter

Comment

I agree with Peter on the above post in every way but one. If there is no bar on premises, walking distance to the bar is fine.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

...by the way, even if that classof96 is college as opposed to kindergarten still qualifies as a young whippersnapper in my book - he says, Belmont Abbey class of 78 - and this club sorely needs all we can muster to continue this fine hobby getting a bit heavy in the grey/no hair department. Especially in the arena of road runs for which some would regard these events as a bit more physically demanding than the other two, judged restorations and swap meets.
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter

Comment

That's folic challenged and there really isn't enough left to be considered as gray, flesh tone maybe. I think we can still "Boogie" when the need arises. Didn't see you this year Peter maybe the one coming up if you journey west again. For all the young and or first time road runners, there's nothing better, period.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Again, thanks to all for the great responses. I think this has turned into a very informative thread for a road run newbie.

I have the heat on in the shed and tinkering with my ride to be ready for next year. I must say, I do feel like a whippersnapper, with my bike year only 1968. Sorry I'm not bringing in new young blood(retired with grey folic) but I've been doing 1 or 2 iron butt rides a year, so I'm ready for the physical demands of a run. The bike, well, I'll find out.
                        Bill #34485
                        68 FLH

Comment

Howdy Bill,

A 68 is plenty old these days, a growing trend of late is the profusion of mid 70’s Shovels showing up, they’re cheap to acquire but most importantly have e-start as the creaking of gimpy knees - all blame directed at kicking persnickety Sporties in our youth - in the parking lot these days sounds like a box of crickets. Per the 35 year rule that option wasn’t available back in the 90’s and I remember kicking many an old machine for the previous generation of AMCA members having grown old and a bit impaired. Have my Shovels in reserve here when that day arrives and Quadzilla can no longer do business.

Rich, we were out there and will return again. Flew home from our annual visit to your fine state to include Pebble and improbably running into Red Fred amidst the pomp and frippery known as the Ocean Ave show where he was displaying his vintage pickup with Indian shop logos. Then turned around to drive halfway back out there via the LaCrosse Run to Deadwood. We’re doing the CA Road Run but with a twist, not driving out/bringing our own machines. Rick N. overheard our pitiful tale in Sturgis of attempting to locate and rent something suitably vintage at one of those shops in Monterrey and offered use of one from his stable so we’re good to go.
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter

Comment

That's what I was hoping Peter. The Harris boys (NJ) will be there as well and maybe long tall John Crawford (BC) along with a lot of our other riding buddies. I have the magic button on my '40, '67' and '81 and Ricky now has one on Martha the panhead even though I still have the kickstart option on all of mine. Funny, I'm recovering at home a week after having my right knee replaced to match my 2014 vintage left one. I'll be ready for spring rides. See you in September. Ride safe. Regards, Rich P.S. Never to old!
                            DrSprocket

Comment

I have seen on a few runs that the sweep truck may only follow the route of the day, so if you are blazing your own trail old bikes and sweepers may not be coming by for any help.

Comment

Working...
                              X