Merkel Parts wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merkel Parts wanted

Hello all, my name is Daniel Kraft and I'm new to the forum. I have an original paint 1910-1912 flying merkel frame, complete with a front end, rear wheel with hubs, and rear fender. Im looking for all other pieces to it. I could use a better set of handlebars than what I have, a gas tank, pedal cranks, a merkel carb, a bosch DAV magneto, a front fender, a merkel muffler,I could use pretty much any pieces to a 1911 flying merkel. Im working off of a teachers salary so I'm trying to pace myself, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel, I took the liberty of moving your post to a more visable category. I have a 1911 Merkel that I have been hunting, and gathering for, for over 20 years. Merkels are difficult to source because they were somewhat rare in their own time, and the 'Light' company of Pottstown, and the 'Miami' company of Middletown. Ohio were not big concerns, and had a small dealer network compared to the Big 3. Another thing against belt drive, and single speed motorcycles was the game changer of 3 speed transmissions from Big 3. I think a lot of those early motorcycles we would love to have today, went to WW1 in the form of artillery; and weren't missed by bikers who loved the new 3 speed bikes. Hence, whatever was left in spare parts quickly got scrapped. It brings a tear to my eye, but just like today; who wants a 10 year old desk top computer?

I would suggest haunting ebay as good Merkel parts do show up there from time to time, and get a hold of Competiton Dist. as Lonnie Isam was a very enthusiastic Merkel collector, and they also reproduce parts. As do the Smiths at Boardtracker. Genuine parts do come along, but found at AMCA meets and could be mixed in with unrelated parts.

I've attached a picture of my Merk when I first got it with a single motor, and as it looks today with a twin. I've been tossing around the idea of selling, or trading it off. I still love it, and do enjoy working on it every 2 or 3 years.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Very neat project! Than you for sharing!

Comment

That bike is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
      X