JD tank variations 1925 - 1929

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD tank variations 1925 - 1929

Does anyone know (maybe MMasa?) which JD tanks had ribbed inner walls and which had plain? See these two pictures ...
    Peter

JD tank 2.jpg

JD tank 1.jpg

Experience has taught me that any variations usually are at the beginning or end of a run. The only difference I am aware of is the 1925 tank having 3 wire clips underneath instead of 2 with a removeable one like 1926 and later. Mark is a good source for information. Jerry

Comment

Well I wrote the above note before I looked at your pictures and I believe the bottom tank with the smooth panel might be a 1925 with the 3 wire clips. Jerry

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the 25 tanks had 3 tabs for bolts/ mounting on the bottom instead of two. Also wasn't there a 29 tank with a difference in the valve cutouts?

Comment

Camsaure, you are correct about the 1925 tank. It's 3 MOUNTING TABS and not three wire clips. It may have also been only a partial year thing. Also regarding the 1929 rocker tower cutouts on the right tank; 1929 tanks have a "divot" stamped into the top sides of the cutouts about 1/4" deep. This was to allow for clearance of the grease gun to be attached onto the 1929 only large axle rocker arms.
          Back to the original question, I believe that the ribbed tanks appeared sometime in the 1928 model run.
          This is antecdotal, and is based on the observation of a few original paint bikes over the years.
          Mark Masa
          Last edited by MMasa; 10-29-2018, 05:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

My mistake. I knew it was something different and I misspoke when I said wire clips - should have said mounting bolts. Sorry Guys.

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
            Experience has taught me that any variations usually are at the beginning or end of a run. The only difference I am aware of is the 1925 tank having 3 wire clips underneath instead of 2 with a removeable one like 1926 and later. Mark is a good source for information. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
              ... I believe that the ribbed tanks appeared sometime in the 1928 model run.
              This is antecdotal, and is based on the observation of a few original paint bikes over the years.
              Mark Masa
              Thanks, this is very helpful. Peter

Comment

Working...
              X