front hub and drum, possibly JD or W?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front hub and drum, possibly JD or W?

I don't know for certain what this hub and drum are (I don't speak fluent Harley), it came with my Indian project. I'd love to sell it, make an offer! Comes with spokes and nipples as well as ball bearings. It was laced to a clincher rim, but the rim is gone. PM me if you're interested! Thanks.

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Is this possibly Excelsior? I notice they also used the dished flange on the side opposite the drum!

Nope...scratch that idea! Looks like Excelsior Henderson had the brake drum outboard of the spoke flange.
    Last edited by pisten-bully; 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Pre '41 H-D WL, W, WLD, pre '40 Servicar. In '41 the drum profile changed to a large radius rather than the square edged stamping.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's a Harley single front hub.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thank-you Robbie and Mark.

Comment

Mark The single wheel and brake that I just sold at Davenport had a 5 1/2" drum and not 6. Jerry

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
            I'm pretty sure that's a Harley single front hub.
            Mark

Comment

You may be right Jerry. Both single and JD front brake hubs look virtually identical apart from the diameter and this one is too small to be for a JD. Pisten-bully, what's the bore of the drum? It's hard to tell exactly from the picture of the tape measure.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks for trying to figure this out Mark and Jerry, here's what I've got:

the drum is 6" inside

and the bore of the hub is 1 7/16" (more or less... my caliper battery is dead!)

Comment

My bet is that it's the 1930 to whenever front wheel brake for the C series 500cc singles and W series 750 twins. 3906-30
                  The smaller dia brake carried on with the 350 singles from 1928 until they finished.
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Note it doesn't have the dust ring. I believe that was only from '28-'30 or so.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The JD hubs never had the dust ring but I can't speak for the singles or DL.
                      Mark
                      Mark Masa
                      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                      X