No announcement yet.

Indian four oil pump adjustment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure I am following you. The photo shows how the pump should be set up. Is your gear a replacement gear? There should be little if any internal sloop in the pump. Jerry Greer's Engineering has an excellent parts illustration of your pump.
    Attached Files

Comment

I am not certain, but I think it's original. I can't feel any front to back play on the shaft. When I put the pump gear on (With the recess facing you) The same way as you and Jerry's pictures, the gear protrudes almost 3/16" in front of the crank gear, but if I turn the gear around with the plain flat side facing you, the gear is then in line.

Comment

Sorry for being dumb, but I can't see how to attach a photo

Comment

P1150150.jpgP1150149.jpgP1150150.jpgP1150149.jpg

Comment

The first photo shows the gear protruding and the last photo (Turned around with the flat side facing out ) Shows the gear almost in line.

Comment

HI Ivor, it took me a "month of Sunday's" to figure out how to attach photo's. If it can't be fixed with a bigger hammer, I have to call in the granddaughters!

I don't know what is happening with your oil pump setup. Unfortunately I do not have a pump out of an engine to examine what might be happening. I can see from your photo your concern. Might look at the thickness of the pump gears and compare to depth of housing....should be very close to the same......other than that, I can't help you. You might post on Henderson Indian4 face book page or a Genuine Redskin page.....they are all quick to respond.

Comment

Oh, thankyou for trying to help L, As far as I can see, the pump bolts to the lower case with two 5/16" x 1.28" body screws so other than machining the case or turning the gear around, I can't see how it can line up. Do your gears line up with each other ?

Comment

I wonder if someone has fitted an upgraded oil pump ?

Comment

Don't know about an upgrade, my 4's line up

image.jpg

Comment

Todd at Jerry Greer Engineering has an excellent set of drawings for the late style pump. You might compare what specs he has provided. Their techs can provide what specs are not shown. You might have the wrong set of gears in your pump housing. While you are in your pump, I would advise installing a new pressure spring.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I've just checked the dimensions of my gear with JG's, and they match. And the pump body bolts directly to the case, so I will take a closer look at the space between the pump body and the back of the gear. Although it would be nice to know why the gear doesn't line up, I will look for a reason for why the gear cannot be put on the other way round.

Comment

I have just taken the pump apart and there are no gaskets. Also, I'm wondering if the oil pump gear (The one inside ) Has not been pressed onto the pump shaft far enough, and that is, in-turn making the outer gear protrude beyond the others maybe ?

Comment

On closer inspection, I can feel a notchy feel when I turn the oil pump by hand and it runs smother when I slacken the screws that hold the pump together, so I will insert the minimum thickness gaskets to resolve this issue. What I didn't understand with your method of setting the oil pump pressure L Burke is,,, 1, With a 'T' piece on the out- side of the pump, what stops the oil from by-passing the gauge and just flowing back into the bucket ? And 2, If the pump is tested, off the motor, the reading will not take into account, the pressure that is lost through the various bearings ?

Comment

Ivan, you are looking for a base line or bench mark for a pressure reading....that is all. The pump is a high pressure pump, not a high volume pump. Pressure is a function of RPM. I have a bucket with warm oil. I use a T fitting on the discharge side....1 leg I attach my pressure "instrument" not the the little US gauge that came with the bike originally.....you have no idea wether it reads correctly or not. The location of the gauge is approximately the same as stock location. Resistance to flow is controlled by the spill valve. Spin the pump at a fast idle.......set the spill pressure by adjusting the spill valve spring tensioning screw, Greer number 41143. Set this reading where ever you want it. Install your stock gauge and compare reading to instrument reading.,,,now you know the differential between the two readings.....your stock gauge is either right or you know when you ride the bike how much the gauge is off. There will be a fog of oil spray inside you cases if spill is sat properly......this engine was not designed for modern tolerances......I regulate my spill about 45lbs. for babit bearings...you need to refer to your motor builder and ask what he recommends. If you have used modern inserts, rods, pistons or altered the oil passages in anyway etc. you will have a different required oil pressure.....discuss this matter with your builder. Pressure at the gauge mounting block is the key factor if everything is installed correctly and all oil galleys free of machine debris. I would discuss this matter further with your motor builder. This is the best I can do for you
                              Last edited by L Burke; 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Pump setup

Originally posted by Ivor View Post
                                Thankyou for all this help L, I intend to cut the gaskets myself. It looks to me that the 'O' ring fits within the cork gasket and retained by the circular groove. Maybe this is to avoid the oil pressure blowing the cork gasket out the side. So if I use a 1.5mm cork gasket that compresses down to 1mm and a 2mm thick 'O' ring and make sure that the cases compress the cork correctly around that area.

Go to Roy Davies Facebook Page, he recently posted a video on "Oil Pump Day" at his shop. Good video showing a setup he uses to test his oil pumps and setting the spill.

Comment

Working...
                                X