Reed Brothers in Frederick Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reed Brothers in Frederick Maryland

Reed Brothers doesn't mean anything for most people outside of Rockville, Maryland but they were pretty important local business owners in my area. The Reed Brothers, shown in the photo attached, are the two center riders with touring caps and ties started a garage in Rockville in 1915 and received a Dodge Motors contract to sell and service the new automobile. The brothers and their family kept Reed Brother's Dodge in business until they lost their contract with Chrysler when they cut dealers during the recession of 2006. They stayed in business until 2015 finishing out the last 9 years selling imports and used cars. But they made out okay, they had the good foresight back in the 1960s to move their expanding business to a very large plot of land that was comfortably situated on a main state road with the rail road right of way to its rear. In the 1970s the extension of the Washington DC Metro subway system built the furthest terminal Shady Grove Station on its busy Red-Line adjacent to Reed Brothers Dodge. After Reed Brothers lost their Chrysler contract they put the property up for sale and it was bought for redeveloping as a multistory residential and mixed-use commercial for many millions of dollars. Good business sense and some good fortune for them. Here is a photo showing Edgar and Louis Reed from a blog their granddaughter writes. Some very nice old motorcycles and riders in period clothing. This was taken possibly as an auto timed photo by Louis on what looks like Market St in Frederick, Maryland a city north of Rockville. Louis was a pretty extraordinary amateur photographer.

IMG_4861.jpg

Mike Love

Great story, Mike! I am very familiar with Reed Brothers Dodge. I grew up in Rockville and now work a few miles up from Shady Grove. I've seen a few old photos of Market Street pop up on occasion.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
      Great story, Mike! I am very familiar with Reed Brothers Dodge. I grew up in Rockville and now work a few miles up from Shady Grove. I've seen a few old photos of Market Street pop up on occasion.

Dale
      Yes Dale I agree about Market St. I am in Olney. That was a really clear photo. I am thinking that cycle closest to foreground was an Excelsior by the tank decal. Could you tell any details from the other bikes? This could have been the teens timeframe wise. I can't remember the last time I donned a shirt and tie to ride a motorcycle, I wonder if it was some dressy event.

Mike Love

Comment

I wasn't sure where exactly the photo was but found that the Schley over the door was for the family member N Wilson Schley one of the early settlers in Frederick and Greenawalt Drugs is on N. Market St. Here is a little trace of info I found on-line. "GREENAWALT'S DRUG STORE 326 North Market St. .... N WILSON SCHLEY, Notary Public."

Lots of flags in view, probably a holiday.

Mike Love

Comment

Mike, I'm sure others with a keener eye will be able to identify the cycles. When I was younger we didn't venture to Frederick too often. Too far out in the country. Nowadays, when we need to go somewhere or get something, that is the direction we head. I'm in Damascus so we are pretty close. As for the shirt and tie, wasn't that the norm for a gentleman rider of the day?
          A couple more local pictures I've run across:
          a8d3229dc5da595e389acd87c856717a.jpg STP_Maryland_State_Police_-_2016-10-26_19_01_53_zpscek0k5tc.jpg amerikanskie-goroda-retro-7-940x748.jpg

Comment

Wow, what local history. I love Frederick, MD. I used to live on North Market street up around the water fountain on 7th street. I now live in Gettysburg, PA but my wife and I (we met at Baker Park after one of their summer concerts 20 years ago) head to Frederick whenever we can, one of the truly best little cities in American. I wish I could afford to live there now...
            AMCA # 3233

Comment

I remember about 20 years ago, seeing Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen at Baker Park. (Hot Rod Lincoln) Nice, laid back atmosphere.
              Gettysburg is a beautiful area, also. We use that as a riding destination quite often taking different routes to and from.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Green Indian View Post
                I used to live on North Market street up around the water fountain on 7th street. I now live in Gettysburg, PA but my wife and I (we met at Baker Park after one of their summer concerts 20 years ago) head to Frederick whenever we can, one of the truly best little cities in American. I wish I could afford to live there now...
                I know the area of 7th and N. Market well, right by the hospital. I lived just north of town off Yellow Springs Rd and loved Frederick but the commute to MoCo got worse and worse so I moved to Olney.Gettysburg is one of my favorite places. A friend from the Chesapeake Chapter is retiring and has bought a farm near Gettysburg.

Mike Love

Comment

Once I get my '42 Chief finished we should all meet up in downtown Frederick for a ride.
                  AMCA # 3233

Comment

Working...
                  X