No announcement yet.

1965 Panhead Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if its "options", Panz4ever,..

More like liberty.

Just don't over-bend the subtle curve like so many re-paints, and always mount both tanks on a bare frame to tape them 'symmetrical'.

With a lot of space to stand back and eye-ball.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Panz, as an Architect we spend lots of time making things as perfect as possible. Drafting is an art form which I am proud to be able to do, by hand or on a computer.

That said, about 12 years ago I was working for a guy and two of us were struggling over the exact placement of an arc for a sloping roof (long story). I tend to get all focused on making achievable dimensions for the guy who will need to build it one day, 1/64" is BS when erecting a building. Well the boss walks over, listens to our lengthy debate and backs up form the model and says "don't worry about the dimension, just make it LOOK right..." Well at first it came off as if he was blowing us off but after I thought about for a day or two I decided he was right. As long as it LOOKS right, you are all good. No one will be placing a factory template over your tanks one day and showing you how you are a 1/16" off.

I hope this helps, it helped me with a bunch of things in life. Over thinking **** is a problem for lots of us, particularly in this hobby. Sometimes the easy answer is the right answer.

Do your research and find the best pictures you can that represent what you are trying to achieve, then make it LOOK right. Good luck.

Comment

Sage advice Architect! Like many of us here who have an eye for details, overthinking can be the kiss of death. I've adopted the approach you describe, years ago and it has made my life more enjoyable. As a professional pilot attention to detail is critical to my job as one would imagine also as an architect. I have a set of 1966 tanks that I want to paint and the white panel also has some sweeping curves that can be tricky to lay out. Cotten's advice and others about putting the tanks on a frame for taping and just standing back is the route I decided on. Now I just have to do it. Too many other bike projects get in my way.

I know, first world problems!

Cheers

Comment

When I do tank badges (modern bikes, stick on badges) I like to take the bike outside so I can get far away from it. Then I use blue tape to hold it in place after moving it around. Usually it is easy to move it around and find TOO low then TOO high, the sweet spot is between the two. Once I have the right side installed where I want it, I find from a seated position on the bike I can see pretty well if the are symmetrical. A partner to stand away from the bike and walk back and forth a couple of times helps as well.

I have tried all sorts of templates, measurements, strings etc for the symmetrical thing, at the end of the day it is done by eye.

Comment

As a (former) professional contractor one of the biggest advantages is the ability to make things look right as opposed to making them perfect. Young guys will struggle for hours trying to make a new door fit in an older home where nothing is plumb or square when the easiest way is to make it look like it was always there. With even reveals and proper swing the owners are absolutely pleased, because that is what they see!
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

If you can't win on the pool table, Folks...

Don't try to stripe a tank until you can.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X