1965 Panhead Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Panhead Tanks

I have asked on this question on another forum (caimag), but am also making the inquiry here as well.

Is there a template out there for getting the correct location of the color scheme for the 1965 Panhead tanks?

Going to be starting on my 65 this Fall and trying to get my ducks lined up ahead of time so I do not end up at a stand still with the paint. I would like to use the same painter that did my 49 sheetmetal but to my knowledge he has never done a paint set for 1965 models.

Any help or leads appreciated.

Great question, Panz4ever!

I have two sets in black waiting a few years for the Birch White.

Problem is mine are 3.5s;
    There are dual 'consensus' for the layout, and I only want to do it twice.

(Even precise photos would be appreciated, thanks in advance,...)

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-27-2018, 02:05 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hey panz4ever.... I have 3 pics of an OP right tank with a seamstress's tape up against it. It's what i used to paint my wife's '65.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Great question, Panz4ever!

I have two sets in black waiting a few years for the Birch White.

Problem is mine are 3.5s;
        There are dual 'consensus' for the layout, and I only want to do it twice.

(Even precise photos would be appreciated, thanks in advance,...)

....Cotten
        The photos you show are of my bike. If you tell me EXACTLY what measurements or photos you need I will try to help if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
          Hey panz4ever.... I have 3 pics of an OP right tank with a seamstress's tape up against it. It's what i used to paint my wife's '65. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22593[/ATTACH]
          K...good start. Thanks

Originally posted by jwl View Post
          The photos you show are of my bike. If you tell me EXACTLY what measurements or photos you need I will try to help if you like.
          jwl, my tanks are 5 gal and it looks like yours in the pics are as well.

Guess precise pics with the tape will help. Want to be able to duplicate the exact position of the striping (as well as width) and depth of the blue before the lower Birch white panel kicks in.

Need to be able to see/determine exactly where you positioned your tape (pic block that) in order to correctly loctae the solid top, stripe, and solid bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by panz4ever View Post
            K...good start. Thanks

jwl, my tanks are 5 gal and it looks like yours in the pics are as well.

Guess precise pics with the tape will help. Want to be able to duplicate the exact position of the striping (as well as width) and depth of the blue before the lower Birch white panel kicks in.

Need to be able to see/determine exactly where you positioned your tape (pic block that) in order to correctly loctae the solid top, stripe, and solid bottom.
            My tanks, the ones in Cotten's pics, are 3.5. As you can see, the emblem is in the lower color. On 5's, the emblem is in the upper color.

Comment

The tape starts at the intersection of the bung and the top of the tank.

Comment

JWL!

Since its all going to be "eyeballed" anyway, I would appreciate just a few level shots from the sides, top, and front.
                (The little thumbnails are futile...)

And the width of the stripe of course.

(If its easiest send them to liberty@npoint.net)

Many thanks!

....Cotten
                PS: I found out the hard way Folks,
                Never lay out tank panels or badges without hanging both tanks on a frame and stand back for perspective.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-28-2018, 11:20 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

JWL!

Since its all going to be "eyeballed" anyway, I would appreciate just a few level shots from the sides, top, and front.
                  (The little thumbnails are futile...)

And the width of the stripe of course.

(If its easiest send them to liberty@npoint.net)

Many thanks!

....Cotten
                  PS: I found out the hard way Folks,
                  Never lay out tank panels or badges without hanging both tanks on a frame and stand back for perspective.
                  Tom, I emailed you 6 pictures in 2 separate emails. Please let me know if you don't get them and I will try again. John Lindemann

Comment

Got 'em, John!

And I'll share them with whomever wishes...

I appreciate that you measured out everything and all, but such close pics are like looking through a telescope.

At your convenience (my two paint jobs are already a decade and a half in progress...) it would be great to get a perspective a bit farther away.

How did the Factory lay them out, anyway?

....Cotten
                    PS: I'm off to Davenport, so it may be a while before I can digest them.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Updating my thread. Still need the measurement for 5-gal tanks or a template.

Called Colorwrite; John Pierce does not have the template.

I'd be willing to travel to take the measurements and pics. Frame, swingarm and fenders are out for paint next week, but I can't do squat on the tanks w/o template.

Comment

BRIANSCOTT.jpg does this help ?

Comment

How did the Factory lay them out, anyway?

....Cotten
                          During my tours of the factory during the '70's, and '80's they were masked freehand. No templates. Just eyeball engineering. They did have a guide for the pin-striping roller they were using in the early '80's.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            During my tours of the factory during the '70's, and '80's they were masked freehand. No templates. Just eyeball engineering. They did have a guide for the pin-striping roller they were using in the early '80's.
                            Thanks Chris!

I feel better now.

Two sets of 3.5s have been staring back at me for years.

....Cotten
                            PS: These are both from MOCO pics. No two were alike!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by HENNIGAN62 View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26158[/ATTACH] does this help ?

It's a start. Thanks

Thanks Chris!

I feel better now.

Two sets of 3.5s have been staring back at me for years.

....Cotten
                              PS: These are both from MOCO pics. No two were alike!
                              Tom that is what I am seeing as well. Your picsare the 2 differences that I have noted in my searching around for 65 tank pics.

Thanks. Gives me some options its seems

Comment

Working...
                              X