Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35 year rule has this finally reached a limit of what is an antique? 1985 is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

people ride bikes for several reasons
    A unfinished business on something they sold years ago

B great memories of something they rode years ago

C that model they couldn't afford or dreamed about years ago

D an interest in how the old stuff operates etc

E money hungry seeking a status in an inanimate object

there's a large chunk of my bikes are from the period of when i was buying new and want to visit that era again, that's around the 1980 period, and rolling in these periods will cater for way more people than leaving the period shut down at one date, otherwise your hobby will die, additionally depending on where you are it's just not safe to run the older stuff, then their usage options gets slaughtered, then they're just show ponies. may suit some but not a lot.

Comment

Some have mentioned the price of old motorcycles and that older members may have paid little compared to prices being asked today. I might remind them that back in the 70's when I bought the majority of my bikes, $500 dollars was a princely sum to someone making $5.00 dollars an hour. I would also add I don't think that there was nearly the demand for vintage bikes.

Comment

Many do not wish to see the past become ancient history.

Comment

Five bucks an hour! In 1976 I thought making 3.75 was something! And I remember really wanting a Vincent Black Shadow back then.
          Couldn’t afford it then, can’t afford it now. I guess things haven’t changed much after all.

Chuck

Comment

Seriously, Folks,..

Who's gonna judge Aermacchi to Zundapp, at every Meet?

If it was in a lap-top you might get away with it.

(Hell,.. then you could sell it.)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
              Didn't one of the surveys a few years back say that only 14% of the members ever has a bike judged? I'll stick with "preserving" my junk if ya don't mind, judging has zero appeal to me.
              People (ANTIFA? & others) are tearing down statues & monuments in an effort to change history. I don't see how that will change the meaning of the word.
              Many of US are antiques, we won't be around much longer.
              So if only 14% have had a bike judged, likely less than 7.5% will be negatively impacted. Whose ox will be gored next???. Will be funny to see a 1984 Kawasaki Ninja, or 2 stroke blow by your preserved junk, your words not mine, on an AMCA road run next year.

Don't think it will happen, think again. Do you love the smell of premix fuel in the morning?? This will affect everyone at all levels!!
              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                At the first AMC meet held at Henry Wing's farm in the Berkshires of Massachusetts there was only eight machines. 1906 Indian, 1908 Yale, 1909 MM, 1916 Excelsior, 1917 HD, 1918 Pope, 1919 ABC, and a 1926 Scott. The Scott was only twenty-six years old at the time. The 1954 Panhead would be brand new. They called it The Antique Motorcycle Club then because Antique to them back then meant a really old motorcycle. Rich
                In the first letter proposing what was to become the AMCA the name was to be the "Veteran Motorcycle Club". This was changed in the first newsletter in 1954 to the "Antique Motorcycle Club"(AMC). this presumably aped the old automobile club formed in 1936 which was the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) which originally required eligible vehicles to be 20 years (or more) old at its founding, (ie 1916). Currently the AACA accepts motorcycles of year 1993 or older for judging.
                In Britain, the Vintage Motorcycle Club, formed in 1946 was intended to cater to motorcycles made in 1930 or earlier. The VMCC was the inspiration for the AMCA. In Britain, a motorcycle made in 1914 or earlier was considered a "Veteran motorcycle and was eligible to enter the London to Brighton annual Run first held in 1930 for "Veteran" motorcycles. Eventually the VMCC settled on a 25 year rule for eligibility for its events.

The AMC in 1954 accepted 1930 and earlier motorcycles. By 1970, it accepted motorcycles up to 1942, the 1930 to 1942 motorcycles being labeled "Post-Antique. Later on the "Post-War" class was established as the need to expand the member base to accommodate those who were interested in "old motorcycles" (of any era).
                May a rolling acceptance date for inclusion of older motorcycles and interested owner-riders continue.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
                X