changing over to a 12 volt altenator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing over to a 12 volt altenator

what type of ballast resistor should I use?

Old Ford pickup truck. I've used two in series on top of the coil, which seems to do the trick, and I haven't had ignition units blow. Converted to 12v alternator Poweraythor32E years ago. A single ballast resistor still burned out Ebeyond2000 ignition. Two did not.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Talked to a coup;e guys from a local rod club and the word was a resistor for a 55 Chev holds up the best. That's what i'm using now.

Comment

Hi. Just found this thread after I posted questions about converting. Are you changing to a 12 volt alternator or generator? Where did you buy it? What resistor did you use and how is it working? I have a 1947 Chief with the original (?) 6 volt generator.
        Thanks - Larry Gibson

Comment

Why do you think you need a resistor?
          I thought ressitors are used where there is two circiuts to the coil.One with full 12v to start,then the resistor circuit to run.If you size the coil no resitor on a kick start chief.BTW I put an alternatoer on my 59 tr3 and no resitor as I have a simple start /ign. circuit.
          Tom

Comment

Hi Tom. I thought I would need different coil made for 12 volt primary if I changed the battery to 12 volt. The other choice would be to add a resistor in series with the 6 volt coil.
            Larry Gibson

Comment

I am not familiar with anyone converting to 12v and not changing the coil.A 3 ohm coil should be fine with no resistor. VW or Triumph coils,and lots other car coils fit.
              BTW the cheapest alternator setup That I have seen is the Kubota/samurai/nippondenso 40a.I got mine for a car for $70 off ebay.Internal regulator,not so noticible on car but the ugly hangs out on a bike.
              The cheapist 6v is a vw bocsh,fits the bracket,cheap, reliable and I think they are kind of period cool,.
              The CE seems like a good option for easy install and service if needed.
              The most desirable to me would be a the converted to 2 brush original and electronic regulator mentioned in the other recent post.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                ... The cheapist 6v is a vw bocsh,fits the bracket,cheap, reliable and I think they are kind of period cool,.
                The last time I shopped for a Bosch, Tom,...

(And its been some years,... before ebay...)

The boneyards were already dry, and the regional auto parts stores could only get me a pricey one with a shaft that stuck out the other side (Microbus, I guess..)

And it was dead on arrival.
                Hate spending money twice, much less wasting time and busting my knuckles to find out its a dud.

I would rather start with an Autolite "core", at least.
                Then you know somebody who can fix it.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                X