Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame paint color

all,
    I am new to the AMCA and the forum. I am restoring a 1965 Panhead. I was advised that powder coat will hide details. I decided to blast and paint. Self Etching primer, leveling primer, black urethane coating. What color black are the stock frames?? Also looking for colors or a resource for colors for parts like, cylinders, saddle bag brackets. Any written info available? Thanks!

Frames are gloss black. Cylinders are silver. Saddlebags brackets are cadmium plated. Not much written on the 65 that I have found.

Comment

Not much written on the 65 that I have found.
      However 90% of it is the same as a '64 or a '66. No special finishes were '65 only...
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Black, is black, is black. If there is any tint, or color in it, then it's not black. Automotive paint suppliers can supply pure, basic black.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Black, is black, is black. If there is any tint, or color in it, then it's not black. Automotive paint suppliers can supply pure, basic black.
          Until you try to match it.

....Cotten
          PS: I hate paint.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Black, white, and pink are not a colors, and don't exist in the spectrum of light. Black is the absence of light, but black, white, and pink are considered colors by human eyes. All colors (by human standards) have hues, and shades, but not black. Automotive paint suppliers have 'pitch black' paint. If you use Walmart brand foo foo can black, you may get something that is faux black. I base this on one year of art school in college, before my parents told me to get a job
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              Black, white, and pink are not a colors, and don't exist in the spectrum of light. Black is the absence of light, but black, white, and pink are considered colors by human eyes. All colors (by human standards) have hues, and shades, but not black. Automotive paint suppliers have 'pitch black' paint. If you use Walmart brand foo foo can black, you may get something that is faux black. I base this on one year of art school in college, before my parents told me to get a job
              Damn that faux black!

....Cotten
              PS:.... I hate....paint.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

HD still sells a match to the frame paint ... 98606C Gloss Black ; also the Hi-Temp Silver .. HD part # 9866-49, now sold as 98660-78 ... any parts guy who knows his stuff can get it, but it's a special order
                Last edited by JSB55; 07-21-2018, 01:49 PM.
                Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Working...
                X