Great grand fathers old bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great grand fathers old bike.

Can anybody identify this old bike. A friend sent it to me and says it belonged to his neighbors Great grand father. I upload it in the right position but it keeps flipping when I post it.

Jerryxjon.jpg

Now let's see what we have. Jerry
    Attached Files

Comment

Jerry, the photo righted itself when you click to enlarge after the original opening. Great photo!
      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

I believe it's a Robie built 1909 Excelsior Auto Cycle.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          I believe it's a Robie built 1909 Excelsior Auto Cycle.
          I agree. A finer scan of the picture would show the name on the tank more clearly but to me it says "Excelsior Auto Cycle". 1910 models had a much more elaborate tank paint scheme than the previous years. 1907 had a simple "Excelsior" script tank name.
          AFJ

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Jerry

Comment

Nice 1909 Ex; it's great seeing the early ones. The 1909 was similar to the first year Ex, the 1908. The seat was a little lower and the fender braces were changed. The factory also added an optional mag ignition. The Excelsior logo on the tank was changed to the longer form some time during the first year's production.

Bob Turek

Comment

I love this picture of the early Excelsior, and thank you very much for posting it, Jerry. I remember talking with Daniel Statnekov about the block chain that was used back at that time. It was at Oley, and he had a useable length of original chain and said, you will not find any chain as good as this. I regret to say I didn't buy it, but I have since found recent made block chain, but everyone says it is pretty much for display only because it will break, when you try to use it for coaster braking. I think it is remarkable that early motorcycle engineers were so advanced, and quality conscience about he products they designed, and demanded. The pioneer era of motorcycling is by far the most fascinating, and interesting.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the Wonderful Photo

Very good of you to share this:
                  Attached Files
                  Jack

Comment

My gramps probably used one of those during his childhood. wonderful photo indeed!

Comment

Three and a half horsepower!
                      Does it get any better?

1910 Excelsior.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X