Gas Tank Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Restoration

I just got '76 Liberty Edition FL "Barn Find" (I wish it was a barn find it was stored outside under a tarp since the late eighties) I had to save it the owner was going to tear it down and sell it off in parts. I need to find someone who can clean and seal the inside of the tanks. One side is near perfect, of course that's the only side I checked when I bought it, the other side is NASTY. I've cleaned and sealed a few tanks myself years ago with mixed results so I'd rather pay a professional to get it done right the first time. The tanks are original paint and I'd like to keep them that way does anybody have any suggestions? This bike has less than 14,000 miles and all original parts and I'm going to try to keep it that way.

Try Moyers tank renewal in Penn. Google it and it should come up. Not cheap but they guarantee the tank for life.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA#12766

Comment

You could also try the Red Kote system (DIY). It is very thorough and has explicit instructions with excellent results. Hope this helps. Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
        Try Moyers tank renewal in Penn. Google it and it should come up. Not cheap but they guarantee the tank for life.
        Personally I think Rollo's suggestion is a good one. I have used the Fuel Tank Renu process that Moyer's Tank Renewal uses. It is like a franchise process. I was very happy with the results and based on looking at their web site for motorcycle tanks it is the same price (high $300s) that I paid back in 2012. The patented coating and their process for prep works very well. I figured it was worth the money for the piece of mind you need from a good tank. I am sure plenty of members here have had good results doing their own but it doesn't always work out. The tank renu process works but you lose your exterior paint in the process so if you have original paint and have to have that for the integrity of your project the the Tank Renu is not your answer as they strip it interior and exterior.

Mike Love
        Member #19097
        Last edited by ihrescue; 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM. Reason: correcting a word choice

Comment

I guess it might not be the trick for this as he says he wants to keep the original paint which I can fully understand. Next best IMHO is thoroughly clean the tank insides and do the Red Kote deal.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA #12766

Comment

If it were my tank I would cap the outlet and fill the tank with 10% molasses and water and leave it there for a week or 2. Then flush it out with water. It will leave bare metal inside and not hurt the original paint.
            Tom

Comment

10% molasses? I've never heard of that before but what the hell I'll try it. Like I said I'm trying to keep this as original as possible and the paint is in pretty good shape. thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Flathead fathead View Post
                10% molasses? I've never heard of that before but what the hell I'll try it. Like I said I'm trying to keep this as original as possible and the paint is in pretty good shape. thanks for the advice.
                It can be kind of messy but is a good way to remove rust. Jerry

Comment

By us we use an old school radiator repair shop. He now specializes in old tank interior restorations for cars and bikes as the radiator repair business is kinda done. $250 for a pair of tanks, cleaned, leak tested and sealed.

Comment

I agree Roll

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                      If it were my tank I would cap the outlet and fill the tank with 10% molasses and water and leave it there for a week or 2. Then flush it out with water. It will leave bare metal inside and not hurt the original paint.
                      Tom
                      I have used the molasses process to remove rust. It works very well and is gentle as well as environmentally friendly. Tom's process should work well I would just add to the solution all the way up to the top of the fill neck with some space to put on the fuel cap. Since it is a chemical reaction that creates a bit of heat and mild pressure be prepared for it when you take off the filler cap. I have only put small parts in a container of the sauce and it does a nice job removing rust from chrome. After you wash and rinse out the tank it would help to put it someplace warm or near a dehumidifier to get all the moisture out. Bare metal once exposed now to the environment could skim with light rust quickly so it would be good to get Rollo's Red Kite on the interior.

Mike Love
                      member # 19097

Comment

I ordered the Red Cote and will be pulling the tanks next week. I didn't realize that stuff even fills pin holes. I used to make alot of money repairing pre '36 tanks with lead, this stuff would have saved some of those people alot of money. Thanks to all of you who helped with your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Flathead fathead View Post
                          .. I didn't realize that stuff even fills pin holes.....
                          Not always, FF!

A skilled associate of mine gave up trying.

Nothing's perfect.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Flat I wouldn't give up on doing pin hole or other tank repairs with lead. Just make sure you do it safely for you. Old school craftsmen are hard to find! I may PM you to discuss this on some tanks I have that need work. Good Luck and the molasses and Red Kote sounds like the trick.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                            AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                              ...I wouldn't give up on doing pin hole or other tank repairs with lead....
                              Certainly Rollo!

I just tinned up two Perfection Heater fonts.

Holes looked like constellations in the night sky.

(But then I also assisted re-soldering of my associate's tragedy, before the Red Cote. So ignore me.)

....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-27-2018, 01:01 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X