Crated 1977 Triumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crated 1977 Triumph

Saw this on EBay. Not mine, just wonder how much more of this stuff is out there.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183222862305
    Attached Files

If it was mine, there is no way it would stay in the crate. But, it is historically valuable the way it is and perfect for a Triumph collector with lots of money and a nice place to display it. Hope it finds a good home.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I didn't realize Triumph was still in business in 77...
      VPH-D

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Arguably the most valuable of the oil in frames, seen many an extremely low miler but never one still wrapped in plastic. Would be curious as to how it’s faired in that kind of storage. Nearly every late model low miler I have seen even when in climate controlled storage/display seems to have deteriorated as the fastener plating and paint was not that durable to begin with.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

A couple of thoughts.
          Production of the 1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V motorcycles were 1,000 in UK form (large gas tank, low handlebars), 1,000 in US spec. with small tank, higher bars and 400 were made for Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. This one looks like a US one.

As to when Triumph finished motorcycle production - it didn't. Production at Coventry started with bicycles in the 1880s. Motorcycles continued there from 1902-3 until 1940, when the factory was destroyed in an air raid. A temporary factory was used for 1941-43 and the Meriden factory came into use in 1944 and ran until 1983. The production of Bonnevilles and Triumph parts was licenced to the Harris company at Newton Abbot for 5 years (1984-89) but in 1983 John Bloor bought the Triumph "intellectual property rights and set up "Triumph Motorcycles (Coventry) Ltd with staff from the existing Triumph organization to design and build a new line of Triumph motorcycles which we first saw in Canada in the early 1990s and which continue in production at 2 Triumph factories at Hinckley in England and 3 factories in Thailand.

Additionally: The serial # on the crate T140VGP8431- (if the bike has that serial #) indicates it was made in June, 1977. Production of 1977 T140V Bonnevilles in all forms ended that month in 1977 at serial # JP84931.

AFJ
          Last edited by AFJ; 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Once again Allan, you never cease to amaze me how you are so well informed. Thanks for all your efforts over the years. Now if I could ever find a Brough......LOL
            Ross

Comment

silver jubilee model, loads of them were brought straight as collectors items, late seventies it started becoming the in thing to collect bikes,

Comment

Originally posted by jellywrestler View Post
                silver jubilee model, loads of them were brought straight as collectors items, late seventies it started becoming the in thing to collect bikes,
                back in the day, a riding buddy had a Silver Jubilee, this was in Kansas City. by traditional British bike rider's standards, they were not well accepted, and were a hard sell, at least in that area, few at best wanted an SJ, ow everybody wants one. By 1977, the Bonnevile was so restricted by epa regulations, and overweight in part by that same regulating agency as well as other accoutrements of refinement, performance was lackluster compared to the minimalistic 1970 model.
                Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

At the old Flint Indian auction years ago there were piles of that sort of thing. New Triumphs, Nortons, Matchless, etc all in crates. A warehouse full of NOS Brit bikes and another of parts, along with all the American stuff as well. They likely will begin to appear as all the buyers are getting some age on them now!
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    At the old Flint Indian auction years ago there were piles of that sort of thing. New Triumphs, Nortons, Matchless, etc all in crates. A warehouse full of NOS Brit bikes and another of parts, along with all the American stuff as well. They likely will begin to appear as all the buyers are getting some age on them now!
                    Funny you should bring that up Robbie. That was the estate of the late Herb Kunze...Flint Indian Sales, Flint,(don't drink the water) Michigan. Flint Indian was a dealer from 1928, started by Herb's Father..."Speed" Kunze. Father & Son also raced and promoted M/C Racing. Herb also bought the adjoining building, and sold Schwinn Bicycles.
                    The first time i met Herb was in the late 1980's when i was tracking Police Parts for my 1953 Roadmaster Chief NY State Police mount. I was warned prior to going in by friends. They explained that as soon as You walked through the door, if Herb didn't like the looks of You, he would abruptly ask You to LEAVE!!!! hahaha. I was kinda sweating bullets prior to entering, but Kunze must have given me his approval, because not only did i get a great deal on a Siren, but he gave me a tour that lasted 3 hours. Amazingly, most of the Indian parts were still wrapped in original period newspapers. There was at least 4 Indian Fours--with side hacks!!! Lots of AJS & Matchless. Uncrated Norton and AJS/Matchless. When Herb passed away, Woods set up a 2-day auction in 1992. Lots of biggies showed, Jay Leno, British Only, Top English Distributors. I went as a spectator. If i remember correctly, the whole lot went for somewhere around 1-1/2 to 2 Million?? Herb Kunze was a colorful cranky pack-ratting character--but he was a Wonderful guy, 'IF' you got a chance to know him. *R.i.P.
                    1950s Matchless frames,Flint A-1.jpg
                    Commando parts, Flint A-2.jpg
                    Smiths parts, Flint A-1.jpg
                    *M.A.D.*
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 05-15-2018, 10:28 PM. Reason: additional pictures & info.

Comment

I remember everyone talking about the Flint auction, (before it happened, and after). The buzz was, don't bother going because it will just be high rollers, and everything will be overpriced. I had the feeling it was the high rollers who were spreading that rumor
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        I remember everyone talking about the Flint auction, (before it happened, and after). The buzz was, don't bother going because it will just be high rollers, and everything will be overpriced. I had the feeling it was the high rollers who were spreading that rumor
                        Many of the lots were large in quantity and this annoyed some smaller buyers…the AJS/Matchless inventory was in seven lots, actually auctioned off as one large lot…the auctioneer, Jerry Wood commented… ”Whoever buys this will be the world’s largest Matchless distributor..”…it went for $110,000 USD to Domiracer.

There was a room called aptly “The Indian Room”… heaps of pre-war Indian Parts, including new crankcases etc for singles and the four cylinder motorcycles…. lots of bidding activity there!

There were six new Norton Commandos, all but one had been riffled for some parts to sell in the past and were variously incomplete. The one complete bike went for US$9750…a BIG price then.

AJS Motorcycles from the UK were over to purchase the stocks of later two stroke AJS Stormer motocrossers ( thirteen new ones, seven still in crates, for US$26,500) and inventory US$15,000 . Zundapp inventory US$18,000;Smiths inventory US$22,000;
                        Lucas inventory US$43,000; Amal inventory US$21,000; Ducati inventory US$21,000; Greeves inventory US$1000; Norton inventory US$57,000; Moto Guzzi inventory US$28,000;Ducati factory tools US$2,100; Seven new Greeves motocrossers US$13,700…And much more not listed.

I had some of this info. from an 1992 Old Bike Mart issue. Checked also an old January 1992 Walnecks, and you could practically buy any Motorcycle for under 15K. So ya Eric, those prices went to the High Dealin' up & coming RUB's...
                        One further note, in that Walnecks 1-92 magazine, was a running E.C.1940 EL Knuck--95% original. Asking pr$ce...10K. hahahaha ahhhh yes, the good ole' daze.

*M.A.D.*
                        Last edited by JoJo357; 12-17-2021, 04:07 AM.

Comment

One further note, in that Walnecks 1-92 magazine, was a running E.C.1940 EL Knuck--95% original. Asking pr$ce...10K. hahahaha ahhhh yes, the good ole' daze.
                          Pretty much top dollar then. In '83 I sold my 45EL and a 52FL to purchase a piece of land. My goal was 12K for both and I almost made it! I live on the land to this day, couldn't live on those bikes...
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                          X