55-57 Inner Primary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55-57 Inner Primary?

Not sure which years, 55-57? And can anyone ID the tab that looks like some sort of oil deflector attached to the aft section? I assume aftermarket. It's nice and straight and may never have been installed. Chrome is beginning to flake but there are no other signs of wear.

Thanks for any insight!
    Attached Files

I believe that is a Duo-Glide inner primary and that tab is the rear chain oiler.

Comment

Thanks for reply 1937hd!

Never having owned a Duo Glide (at least not yet), I hadn't seen this before. But I can certainly see how this would function as a rear chain oiler. All of the aftermarket primaries that I've seen for 1958-64 do not have this oiler tab but all do seem to have an elongated hole in the upper mounting tab. I did a quick search but couldn't find a pic of an original primary to use for comparing. The one I have does not have the elongated hole. Top and bottom tabs are the same size.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this part?

Comment

The oiler was used in '62-'64. It was also available as an over the counter part so it could be added to earlier covers.
        Last edited by Rubone; 04-26-2018, 05:52 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.

What about the upper mount? Any insight on elongated vs round holes?

Comment

I think I found my answer here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ORI...kAAOSw8e5a3RJx58 inner primary.jpg

Comment

What about the upper mount? Any insight on elongated vs round holes?
              I've never seen an OEM primary with "elongated holes". That is an aftermarket trick to try and make them fit.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Your inner chain housing is officially a late 59-63....someone has elongated the hole to fit an aftermarket oil tank or to fit a 55-57 bike or an incorrectly located replacement tab on the oil tank???

Comment

Working...
                X