Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 XLH Fork Oil Dumb Question

Hello,

I'm finishing up my first Sportster, a 1969 XLH and I have a question about adding fork oil that I am hoping someone can answer,

The service manual describes the construction of a very complicated filler can, which seems to be for adding the oils while making sure all the air is out.

So my dumb question is - is this necessary? Or, is there a simpler way to add the 4-1/2 ounces called out in the manual?

Jim
    AMCA #466

You don't have to filter anything. Short of pulling the tubes out your stuck tin can. The thing in the book works pretty good. I just soldered a tin can to a metal funnel. The other end is just a rubber stopper with a piece of copper tubing though it. It take for ever and a day for the fluid to drip though the breather valve. This is were the tin can comes in. If ya make a handle for it, you get to hang it up and drink a beer while you watch you tin can. In fact after four or five beers you can start having one hell of a relationship with your tin can. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

That describes a filler for a Big Twin. On your 69 Sportster all you need to do is put a block under the frame and remove one cap at a time (if you remove both the forks will collapse completely), then dump the oil in. They do not have a restricted double cap like a BT.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

One yay, one nay.

I think I need a tie-breaker on this one!

Can we get a confirmation?
        Jim
        AMCA #466

Comment

OK, I'm done....
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Sorry, Rubone. Not sure what you mean.
            I'll try your recommendation.

There were two contradicting replies, so I wasn't sure of which was correct.
            Jim
            AMCA #466

Comment

Robbie right, I forgot that the taper of the tube on a Sportster comes straight into the top triple tree. Like he said one at a time.
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
              X