1950 Model G Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Model G Info

This is a right hand shift and a reverse left hand throttle. What's that background on this configuration? At this time not sure of the clutch configuration, heel or toe engage. Any info would be appreciated as I can't seem to find anything in Palmer's book.

Not sure what you mean by "reverse" left hand throttle. Do you mean it is on the left, or that it works backwards? If it functions normally (twist towards you to accelerate) it is just left handed, not reversed. That combo was used by H-D for departments using tire marking. It allowed the rider to control the throttle while using a chalk stick to mark tires for parking violations. It is common on Servi-Cars. A 1950 should not have a heel/toe pedal but rather an in /out type like an automobile.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The Servi-Car has not made it to the shop yet so I am going by the owner's description. With that said, he told me that the throttle was actually reverse direction and on the left side. I don't have pictures of the left side so I was going by other information about the toe/heel shifter. I've seen the in/out type of clutch pedal before so that might be what's on the trike. So was the right hand shift used by these same departments? And did HD make these just for the police departments? I'm just looking for as much info as I can get before I start the restoration.

Comment

Holthammer!

Let us not forget that by 1950, many officers were used to the right-hand shift common to Indians.

Both HD and Indian produced their machines either way.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-09-2018, 09:35 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I believe they make reverse action throttles which pull cable, rather than push it when accelerating. They are used for aftermarket carb adaptations, bet the servi does not have a Linkert on it.

Comment

Right hand shift, left hand throttle ended on Big Twins in '47, however Servi-Cars were built with that option through the '60s. Note that in '69 they still offered it as a "Car Marking" option.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              .. Note that in '69 they still offered it as a "Car Marking" option...
              What desperation, Folks!

As the 45" is in its death throes, and parking meters became umbiqui.. embigwi.. (damn this spellcheck),
              how else can HD get rid of inventory, twenty years after Indian's demise?

Bill's Custom probably got it.
              (And probably punished for it.)

...Cotten
              PS: When was "planned obsolescence' invented? No doubt HD learned their lesson.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-09-2018, 01:23 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X