No announcement yet.

Pony Riveting Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotten; The center knob moves the verticals toward and away from the drum. You loosen the wing nut and swing the rollers in and out. I'm not sure if there was a guide for the different radius's. Maybe Chicago Rivet has more info on it. They still take these old machines in for repair!
    Craig000_0964.jpg000_0963.jpg

Comment

Picked this up. Still need some upper tooling for it. If anybody has one I could borrow to make a copy or purchase I would appreciate it.

AMCA #765

Comment

Len!

Any idea what diameter the setting "ram" would be?
        My previous attachment of a 'star' setter shows poorly how the middle portion has a shoulder to press upon, and a "bayonet" relief cut above the shoulder to retain it.

Other makes may well fit, since it was 'licensed'; Can you carve a wooden dowel to cram and twist into it for clues?

....Cotten
        It appears my Harbor Freight sheetmetal punch (looks a lot like a 'Pony') is doomed to become a riveter, since replacements for the dies are unobtainium. At least it paid for itself...
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-30-2018, 09:58 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

There are some tooling close by at Industrial Brake. The owner has a drawer full but he won't let me borrow one to make a copy. I was lucky that he let me take pictures.

AMCA #765

Comment

A lot simpler to make than mine, Len!

I suspect the short taper at the top secures it into the machine.

Got a lathe?

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

I have a lathe Tom but not proffecent on it yet.

Since then I completely rebuilt it and added a Bison chuck and Dorian tool post with tooling.
              AMCA #765

Comment

It looks like a good size and vintage, Len!

How do you lower the toolpost?

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

That's some old pics and wasn't done with the rebuild with an old tool post.
                  Newer pics but still have to install the new feed half nut and screw bushingings in the compound. it's a 12".

AMCA #765

Comment

I like that post a lot better, Len!

'We' (the 'royal' "We".. like the good ol' days when Liberty had a crew ,..) must make do with most anything; My 'budget' Harbor Freight quick-change stays 'dedicated' to some critical operations, while relying upon a couple of lantern posts for most everything else.

Except when clamping an old sewing machine motor or Dremel to something carved in the eighties...

The real trick to making rivet rams will be picking the material, or search out a 'practical' hardening recipe.

...Cotten
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-02-2018, 02:04 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Len, I think those rivet tools would be a good project for you to get your feet wet with that lathe this spring. Try and get some sketches and dimensions from your friend that won't allow the tools out of his sight, why? I know I will get disagreements but here I go, I would use S-7 tool steel. It is a shock resistant steel used in exact applications as this. I make parts from it almost weekly. It is not real expensive. When heat treated to somewhere in the 52-54Rc range it will only change slightly, but will be hard enough and forgiving enough for this exact application. If needed I can send some out to you. I will also offer to heat treat them for you, I go weekly to heat treat and a few more pieces in the lot would be consumed in my minimum charge. PM me if you want to go that route. I could also do whatever end form you need if you just wanted to blank them out.
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Well, Len...

Bob's got your recipe!

I see your intuition came through and you stiiffened your table with plate.
                        Mine is similar, but it coulda shoulda been more.

Hope to move my Logan to a slab of pool table slate... .. .. someday.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Back to topic almost,....

This thing fits in the palm of your hand;

It has "Dc" with the c underscored, and 'Paris' on the other side,

Cute as a puppy, and a long story to go with it.

....Cotten
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-24-2018, 05:16 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Drivers for the pony riveters are around 15 bucks for rolled or splayed rivets. Rolled for metal, splayed for leather and such. I will give a supplier for rivets, almost any type of buckles and all kinds of tooling for the stand up riveters. They also have all kinds of materials and fastners. Well worth calling for a free catalog. They are Amish, so no web site.
                            Beiler's Supply 717-768-0174

S-7 is a great, air hard, material to work with. I used s-7 for cavity blocks on one half of plastic injection molds and h13 on the other half. H13 tig rod gives you a 50-54 hc tough surface just from welding with it and letting it cool.
                            Last edited by ryan; 03-11-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Cotten's post 27: That is an eyelet setter for shoe repair. I'm sure you already know that Cotten. Lol
                              Last edited by ryan; 03-11-2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                                Cotten's post 27: That is an eyelet setter for shoe repair. I'm sure you already know that Cotten. Lol
                                Not exactly, Ryan!

It would require a pretty small shoestring, and they were still using buttonhooks back then.
                                (I suspect Hexter's became my neighbor Loy's 'dime store' in the thirties, but the Loys are no longer with us to ask...)

This tiny riveter was in an old watch repair dumpster load, about four doors away.
                                (Note Linkert float gauge beneath it.)

I consider all such presses (like my Pacific) to be multi-purpose tooling!

....Cotten
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-12-2019, 09:47 AM.
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X