Vintage Motorcycle Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Motorcycle Library

I read on page 8 in Vol 57 No.2 magazine about the updated Vintage Library. I went to the site and opened the link. I have a question about the statement below that shows up at the top of the page.

The Antique Motorcycle Foundation now manages the Vintage Motorcycle Library (formerly the Virtual Library). AMCA members get exclusive download access for the first year to all materials that are/were collected through active AMCA members and events.

What does 'exclusive download access for the first year' mean? What happens after the first year for AMCA members? Thanks.
    Bob Rice #6738

Doh!

I recently logged in, although warned not to...

Didn't find any H-D Sidecar Owners Manuals either.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

[QUOTE=BigLakeBob;170271]I read on page 8 in Vol 57 No.2 magazine about the updated Vintage Library. I went to the site and opened the link. I have a question about the statement below that shows up at the top of the page.

The Antique Motorcycle Foundation now manages the Vintage Motorcycle Library (formerly the Virtual Library). AMCA members get exclusive download access for the first year to all materials that are/were collected through active AMCA members and events.

What does 'exclusive download access for the first year' mean? What happens after the first year for AMCA members? Thanks.[/QUOTE

I couldn’t find the paragraph as shown above on my page 8 or 16-18 where it is discussed again. I did see mentioned numerous times the library is free to all members with free downloads. In the past I think up to 5 downloads/yr were free then there was a charge for additional downloads.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I was a bit curious about what Bob said. I went to the AMCA Website, under "Features", clicked on "Vintage Motorcycle Library", and there it was. It requests that you enter your last name and AMCA membership number to access the Library. So, I suppose by doing that (which I did) my year begins now?

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
          I read on page 8 in Vol 57 No.2 magazine about the updated Vintage Library. I went to the site and opened the link. I have a question about the statement below that shows up at the top of the page.

The Antique Motorcycle Foundation now manages the Vintage Motorcycle Library (formerly the Virtual Library). AMCA members get exclusive download access for the first year (March 1, 2018 to March 1, 2019) to all materials that are/were collected through active AMCA members and events.

What does 'exclusive download access for the first year' mean? What happens after the first year for AMCA members? Thanks.

ALL the content on the Vintage Motorcycle Library are all the files from the old AMCA Virtual Library, including documents that were not previously posted but found in the scanned records.

Exclusive download access for the first year means that AMCA members are the only ones who can download AMCA-derived content for the first year that it is available in the library. The public cannot download, but that is only during this one-year period. Once a year goes by from an AMCA-derived resource's insertion into the library, it will be available for download to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Kizer View Post

ALL the content on the Vintage Motorcycle Library are all the files from the old AMCA Virtual Library, including documents that were not previously posted but found in the scanned records.

Exclusive download access for the first year means that AMCA members are the only ones who can download AMCA-derived content for the first year that it is available in the library. The public cannot download, but that is only during this one-year period. Once a year goes by from an AMCA-derived resource's insertion into the library, it will be available for download to the public.
            Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately the site doesn’t appear to be setup for mobile devices. Search field doesn’t work and other link issues. I sent an email to the site admin.
            This is a great resource so hope to be able to use it on my mobile devices.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the feedback.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Very nice library, easy to maneuver around and great to view before download. Thanks for all the effort, appreciated here!!
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I agree with Bob. I had not visited the library for a while so when I checked in yesterday, I found myself browsing for quite a while. A lot of good info in there!

Dale

Comment

This is a work in progress, done by volunteers. The new system being implemented is much more professionally recognized.
                    We are going to have a scanathon at Wauseon this year if you want to take part.

Comment

I have already set aside some new material to be scanned at Wauseon.
                      Ross

Comment

I use it quite often. To the folks who maintain it, and the folks who donate material, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I would never have had the opportunity to see most of those documents if it weren't for the virtual library.

Kevin

Kevin
                        https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

AMCA Members,

I've received a couple of private emails asking me to clarify the future of the library in regards to AMCA members.

Going forward, the Library is still a benefit to all AMCA member for free but it will also be available to anyone for free after the first year. The Foundation is a non-profit, tax exempt organization so they cannot charge for anything. Once they start adding content that comes from sources outside the AMCA they will no longer be able to restrict its access to AMCA members only. After one year, the library will be open to anyone to access and download content. It will be better for the antique motorcycling community and also expose the AMCA to non-members. It truly is a win-win for us all.

Keith

Comment

The Foundation is a non-profit, tax exempt organization so they cannot charge for anything. Once they start adding content that comes from sources outside the AMCA they will no longer be able to restrict its access to AMCA members only.
                            There may be good reasons not to charge for use of the library, but non-profit status is not one of them. Non-profit doesn't mean money can't change hands, it means, among other things, there are limits on the bottom line at the end of the year. Also, non-profit, tax-exempt entities receive donations from outside sources all the time.

Again, there may be good reasons to allow open access to the library, but these two aren't among them.

Comment

Working...
                            X