69-70 Bronson style mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69-70 Bronson style mufflers

I recently bought a set of 69-70 stacked mufflers. The parts book lists them as separate part numbers-65227-68 lower and 65228-68 upper. Both mufflers are identical with just 1 mounting loop on the top which fits up to the support bracket. It seems the upper should have a bracket on the bottom to suspend the lower. Is this correct? I’m thinking I have 2 lowers. Any help is appreciated.

The top muffler should have indents to clear the bottom of the rear shock.
    The lower muffler has no indents.

Comment

I'm looking for a similar exhaust system for my 1970 XLCH. If anyone has one for sale, please reply.
      Thanks...
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Have a pair of mufflers and the mounting bracket. Light road rash and the chrome is thin. No extra dents. Located in Connecticut.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
          I'm looking for a similar exhaust system for my 1970 XLCH. If anyone has one for sale, please reply.
          Thanks...
          I know for sure Kirk Kelly at sporty parts has the rear pipe -- he just posted in another forum about having it for sale. Reading between the lines on some other conversations with him, it sounded like he had at least one good used set minus the lower support bracket.

I know I saw at least two complete systems at Wauseon and one at Davenport. Attached is a pick of the Davenport system -- it was on the ground next to or under the table with the linkerts on it (I can't remember which). I hope some one will be able to id the vendor for you from the picture.

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 59xlh View Post
            Have a pair of mufflers and the mounting bracket. Light road rash and the chrome is thin. No extra dents. Located in Connecticut.
            Thank you for responding.
            How bad is the road rash? Is it repairable? If so I mat be interested...
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
              I know for sure Kirk Kelly at sporty parts has the rear pipe -- he just posted in another forum about having it for sale. Reading between the lines on some other conversations with him, it sounded like he had at least one good used set minus the lower support bracket.

I know I saw at least two complete systems at Wauseon and one at Davenport. Attached is a pick of the Davenport system -- it was on the ground next to or under the table with the linkerts on it (I can't remember which). I hope some one will be able to id the vendor for you from the picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26243[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26244[/ATTACH]
              Thanks for responding....
              That's great information. I would first like to see what 59xlh has and if it's too badly damaged for my repair skills I may reach out Mr. Kelly. Do you have is contact information?
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Thanks for responding....
                That's great information. I would first like to see what 59xlh has and if it's too badly damaged for my repair skills I may reach out Mr. Kelly. Do you have is contact information?
                https://sportyparts.com/

Local: 714-879-0500
                Toll Free: 800-701-2925

Good luck. They've suddenly become popular systems :-)

Comment

Bill, I'll try to get some pic's up tomorrow. Thanks, Tom.

Comment

I'm not the best photographer. Also have NOS rear pipe.P1010011.jpgP1010004.jpg

Comment

P1010014.jpgP1010015.jpg Couple of small dents no back side not visible.

Comment

Still trying.P1010001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 59xlh View Post
                          I'm not the best photographer. Also have NOS rear pipe.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26259[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26260[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks 59xlh, ,but I think I'll continue looking. I probably could repair the road rash with a layer of brass, as its fairly deep but it's a lot of work.
                          Thanks for responding!
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

... I probably could repair the road rash with a layer of brass, as its fairly deep but it's a lot of work....
                            Low temp silver-solder, Bill!

Brass requires heat that makes the steel brittle.

....Cotten
                            PS: It polishes out a whole lot better, too.
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,
                              You're correct about the brazing causing brittleness in sheet metal. How does the silver-colder react to chrome plating?
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X