1911 Harley Davidson Single Cylinder Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Harley Davidson Single Cylinder Wiring

Does any one have a wiring diagram for an 11 single battery model? What is the best battery to use? Have a 12volt coil.
    Thank you,
    Ric

This is a typical wiring diagram for an early battery ignition system. In the early days, motorcycles used those big round dry cell batteries that were common up into the 1970s. 12 volt will work fine, but if you're trying to replicate the correct look, you'll most likely have to fabricate something on your own. Hope this helps.

earlyignition copy.jpg
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Did you ever figure it out, Ric? Is your bike all genuine 1911 Harley-Davidson?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I have a 1912 Harley-Davidson single, battery ignition, and have used No. 6 reproduction dry cells for several years. They have 2 "D" cells inside wired in parallel that are replaceable. The dry cells look like original old dry cells and have proved to be very satisfactory. They can be purchased from "Ken's Clock Clinic" for $36.95 each. Check out Ken's website and/or contact him at ken@kensclockclinic.com. I use three of the dry cells in my 1912.

Comment

Talbot-2, always great to see a post from you. Just curious if you looked at the page I posted with the coil trembler. Are you familiar with the 'trembler' feature. I have to wonder if the trembler was one of those do-hickies that picky riders could not stop fiddling with.
          Last edited by exeric; 02-28-2018, 11:51 AM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I'm not familiar with a "coil trembler". Where can I find your post on it? By the way, I use the repo dry cells in my other two battery ignition cycles as well without any issues.

Comment

It's in post #2, in the attachment. The trembler is described in the last part of the article. I asked because I had never heard of one, and wondered if it was one of those pointless devices that progress threw out the window.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Got it. I have never heard of the "trembler coil". I looked through all of my early battery ignition data to no avail. It is an interesting concept. Just don't see it's value. Like you said, it is probably one those pointless devices that progress threw out the window.
                Last edited by talbot-2; 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Model T Fords among others used trembler coils for many years
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks, Peter. You always come up with great answers to the strangest questions
                    Last edited by exeric; 03-03-2018, 06:22 AM.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                    X