No announcement yet.

Wanted Indian 4 (1920s-1930s vintage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have information on the 1929 Indian 4 that Mr. Al Engle is selling in the March/April issue of "The Antique Motorcycle?" Although she's a pretty face, my worry is her mechanical/electrical condition.....

Also shown here: http://www.classicmotorcycleconsignm...29-indian-four

Comment

Electrical is not much of an issue as magnetos either work, or need to be rebuilt. The generator is an Autolite, and they are easy to make right. So, the electrical is probably fine, and not an issue. Over-all, the bike looks well done and that is usually a good sign, but for that kind of money, a buyer should do an in-person appraisal. I would want assurance that the motor was well done, by someone that stands behind their work. In defense of motor builders, they don't know how someone is going to treat their work, and only Superman could tell you if there was an imminent problem lurking inside the motor. Curious though, this bike is not a Dad/Son project as it looks pretty well done. I'm thinking this is more a Dad project
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

For that price...she's definitely just a DAD project....Well outside of my price range, too...especially if the mechanical work wasn't done correctly.....Thank you for the reminders, though, sir.

Comment

Sprangerny, you did beautiful work on those bikes. I've spent my time on vintage American bikes, but I now find myself interested in British, and Japanese bikes from the '60s. I admire your tenacity in bringing those bikes back to life.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric: I can't take the credit for the preservation of this 5T. It came from the Raber's auction, in San Jose, as a 'mostly original' bike. Everyone seems to appreciate that it's not been 'restored'. That said . . . I changed the gearing, new chains, all new wheel bearings, complete fork rebuild, new tires, etc. etc. And have ridden it almost 1,000 miles in the past 6 months. These should be ridden - and cared for. Now, of course, I'd like to get something pre-1928 that would qualify for the 2019 Cannonball!5T-1948.jpg

Comment

Manuals

Originally posted by Jason Miller View Post
              Sir,

Do you of anyone who sells an"Indian-4" manual (similar to Chiltons for cars)? I'm looking for basic mechanical/electrical/timing brochures beyond what can dig up on the internet. Also, who do you recommend for engine and transmission rebuilding/advice?
              Jason,
              Larry Burke here, I have excellent wiring, timing and now offer 3 wire generator rebuild manual. 30 page Timing covers complete, crank, cam and valve timing to final ignition, mag or battery ignition, many photos and cad drawings. Each manual approx 30 pages. You can message me or drop by our booth at Davenport.
              T-28 & 29

Comment

Working...
              X