Serial Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number

I looked at an Indian motorcycle with a serial number 81T597 trying to find out what year and model.

I would say it is a 1922 'Chief' 61ci (1000cc)

Cheers Steve
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Yes 1922 Chief 61" serial number 1597

1922 Model T 80T001-up 2CYL 7HP Chief' 61ci (1000cc) first year, tho sold oct '21
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

numbers

your bike is in the second batch 81 , 80 being the first , mine is 81T177, have you any photos ? if the timing cover was to be removed your engine number should be near the idle gears showing it as a matching crank , Rob

Comment

OK 1922 Chief owners...... can you clear up some confusion for me?

According to the drawing in the chief parts book, the 22 only chief timing cover had a small hex headed plug in the timing cover to access the generator drive gear. Kent Thompson swears this is a 22 only feature but the hole was too small to remove the gear, just get the nut off for generator removal. The parts book lists no generator drive gear access hole or plug until 1926. Makes absolutely no sense that they would have done this in 22 only, then no access hole for 22-25 then finally adding one large enough to remove the drive gear in 26 -31. For those that don't know, the generator is driven off the timing gears 22-31 and in order to remove the generator on pre 26 engines, the entire timing cover must be removed, a big job! The access hole in 26 made this a much easier job, by far!

So, anyone with a real 22 chief that can answer?

Gene

Comment

Gene my timing cover doesnt have this hole to access the geni ?through 26 onwards only ? Rob

Comment

Rob,

I suspect that they all had solid covers through 25 then 26-31 had the access hole and plug for the generator. The drawing in the parts book is probably one of those pre production drawings and some things were never incorporated on the production machines. A friend has an early timing cover with a small hole in it, poorly threaded for a pipe plug. I think this was someones attempt at getting to the generator drive gear, not factory.

gene

Comment

i had a mate make a plug in the cam chest for that very reason .I just checked my spare motor the cam cover has the engine number stamped into it also up where the geni gear would sit .The oil pump inlet comes in at a 45 degree angle compared to 23 and later ,this is somethink to look at if you buy the bike sir ,i know my barrells have casting numbers on them too ...great fun bike to ride,a mate followed me on the Great Race Indian vs Harley a few years back its on youtube ,thats about the footage i have on it ,Rob

Comment

Working...
                X