No announcement yet.

1938 Chief Sadlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you send me your email-address by PM I can send you higher resolution day-light pictures or scans. These are below 100KB, so not very detailed although they might look OK on the screen.

Comment

Cool pics,thanks for posting.I have never seen the Chromium hangers to fasten the saddlebags (except maybe on the period pics of that 39)directly to the rear mudgauard,which appear to be an option to use the Luggage carrier strap mount bags,Deluxe or srandard, without the carrier.
      I think the zipper bags were for the plunger frame its shown on.
      I am now thinking the holes in my fender were to mount later bags.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by scoop View Post
        Contact Michael Paquette at Worsham Castle Leather. He made a set for my 37 Chief that are fantastic. He can make just as original for any year Harley or Indian.
        Thank You, I'll check into that.

Comment

Referring to your first post, please make sure you do your home work before ordering a set of bags from anyone. I have spent countless hours and years doing research on leather bags, seats, tooling and embossing stamps and plates used on Harley, Indian and Henderson motorcycles.
          It also takes years to acquire the tools, machines, knowledge and skill.

My point being is that you can look at the same make and style from 3 different leather workers and not one the same. Now this does not the craftsmanship is bad by any means, the quality of workmanship is quite high, actually, on the bags presented here on the site. I am only talking about subtle differences like for instance the style and edge on the leather conchos, also known as rosettes. I have seen scalloped edges when they are suppose to be pinked or zigzagged and vise versa, the pinked edges being at a 45 degree edge when they should be at 30 degree etc. Some straps are single or double creased when they should not be creased or any variation of the above. The stitching being 6 stitches per inch when they should be at 5. Too many to variations to list really.

I know these subtle changes on the leather bags may not mean a lot to some or most people, but why settle on bags when you would not settle on a headlight e.g. Again, all I am bringing up is to do your homework.

Good look on your search
          Last edited by ryan; 02-05-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I uploaded some better pictures to photobucket. If anybody is interested and has problems opening them on photobucket, just sent a PM with your email address:

http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/gs...n%20Saddlebags

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
              Referring to your first post, please make sure you do your home work before ordering a set of bags from anyone. I have spent countless hours and years doing research on leather bags, seats, tooling and embossing stamps and plates used on Harley, Indian and Henderson motorcycles.
              It also takes years to acquire the tools, machines, knowledge and skill.

My point being is that you can look at the same make and style from 3 different leather workers and not one the same. Now this does not the craftsmanship is bad by any means, the quality of workmanship is quite high, actually, on the bags presented here on the site. I am only talking about subtle differences like for instance the style and edge on the leather conchos, also known as rosettes. I have seen scalloped edges when they are suppose to be pinked or zigzagged and vise versa, the pinked edges being at a 45 degree edge when they should be at 30 degree etc. Some straps are single or double creased when they should not be creased or any variation of the above. The stitching being 6 stitches per inch when they should be at 5. Too many to variations to list really.

I know these subtle changes on the leather bags may not mean a lot to some or most people, but why settle on bags when you would not settle on a headlight e.g. Again, all I am bringing up is to do your homework.

Good look on your search
              I'm doing a lot of research before I purchase. Thank you for the information.

Comment

Lets see some pics of the 38. I'm putting one together myself and would love to see another one.

Comment

Im bringing a pair of original Indian "Deluxe" bags back to life. Ill post some pics when Im done.

Comment

Thank You, I'll be watching for that.

Comment

Finally some progress on this. I picked up my bags and seat at the Davenport Meet today. I want to thank everyone who gave me information, it really did make a big difference in what I'm doing.IMG_2140.jpgIMG_2142.jpg

Comment

Mind disclosing who made them?
                        AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                          Mind disclosing who made them?
                          Heathers Leathers. I'm happy with them and they are good to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                          X