1938 Chief Sadlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 Chief Sadlebags

I am restoring a 1938 Chief and am trying to decide which saddlebag to go with. Either the one that mounts to the rear fender or the one that uses the rack above the rear fender. I haven't been able to find a good example of a fender mounted saddlebag that is original or an accurate reproduction. All of the ones I've seen are much larger than what Indian would have used on the rear fender. The saddlebags for the rack are quite large and would be (what I think) too much to hang from the fender. Does anyone have a picture and accurate measurements for this bag?

The 38 fenders are not suitable for mounting bags, you need a fender rack.
    There are photos of tan rack mounted bags in Hatfield's indian four, indian motorcycle photographic history, rafferty's indian book.
    Kiwi, Greer, Starklite, Worsham, Heather's leathers can supply.

Comment

Search you tube for 38 Indian chief pics and you should find classic recollections very original blue restored 38.The bags are fender mounted using mounting plates with 5 holes in fender.
      My 38 Chief fender has the same 5 holes on each side (now welded up) as shown on this 38 Chiefs with bags.
      I don't have the bags or plates.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
        Search you tube for 38 Indian chief pics and you should find classic recollections very original blue restored 38.The bags are fender mounted using mounting plates with 5 holes in fender.
        My 38 Chief fender has the same 5 holes on each side (now welded up) as shown on this 38 Chiefs with bags.
        I don't have the bags or plates.
        Tom
        Do you know if the saddlebags that are on that bike are original size. I've seen other pictures of Chiefs with bags like that and they just look way too big for a fender mount. This is a tough decision for me at this point. I really don't want a bike with a bag that big on the rear fender and I want to stay within AMCA Judging limits if possible. Heathers Leathers can duplicate the Indian script and stamping that they had on if I can just figure out which bag to go with. Thank You for the reply. By the way, the blue and gray one on youtube is a pretty bike!

Comment

Original 38 bags are like this

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
            Original 38 bags are like this

I've never seen that saddlebag mounted on the rear fender. I have other pictures of it on the bracket above the fender like this, but not lower down on the fender bracket. Have you ever seen one? I do think I'm going to use this system the more I look at pictures and use my imagination of what it would look like with the big bags on the fender.

Comment

I would say these bags (here on a 1939 Chief) would be correct for a late 1930ies Chief - the pictures are vintage and as far as I know these Indian scrip bags were offered in the accessory catalog. Have also seen unrestored original 1938s and 1939s with these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Era-....c100011.m1850
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gsottl; 01-29-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

here is a nice pair mounted to a luggage rack of a 1938 original paint bike....
                Attached Files

Comment

The 1938 price list in hatfields resto guide shows one listing for saddlebags,pricey at $8.95 a pair.
                  The last pics of the 39 with bags look to be correct but it would be nice to see an accessory catalog pic.
                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
                    I would say these bags (here on a 1939 Chief) would be correct for a late 1930ies Chief - the pictures are vintage and as far as I know these Indian scrip bags were offered in the accessory catalog. Have also seen unrestored original 1938s and 1939s with these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Era-....c100011.m1850
                    These pictures are worth a thousand words! Thank You! This is the first time I've seen the original Indian bags mounted on the fender like this. I've searched high and low and no luck until now. I've seen the bags off the bike but that doesn't tell me much. Yes, you made my day

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                      The 1938 price list in hatfields resto guide shows one listing for saddlebags,pricey at $8.95 a pair.
                      The last pics of the 39 with bags look to be correct but it would be nice to see an accessory catalog pic.
                      Tom
                      So if it only lists one, then Indian probably only made one size bag. I was thinking they may have had a bag for the rack and a different bag for the fender mount. A person can really spend time digging for this kind of information. Thank You.

Comment

The price list may not be the last word.I think there were probably lots more accessories available from the dealer than shown on dealers price list.
                        Have Fun
                        Tom

Comment

I have that 1940 summer/fall Indian accessories catalog. It shows two types of saddlebags inside which I think are actually 1930ies bags that were still sold in 1940. On the back side cover they show the new 1940 style bags called "streamlined" zipper de luxe bags- sorry for the bad quality of the pictures!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I bet there aren't many of those accessory catalogs around. Something like that is invaluable if you are restoring a bike. This answers many of the questions I have about saddlebags. The only thing that could be any better is if they gave the exact dimensions of the bags, but this definitely good information to have. Thank You! The pictures actually downloaded to my computer in good quality! As this restoration moves along I'll try to post some pictures if your interested. Thanks Again!

Comment

Contact Michael Paquette at Worsham Castle Leather. He made a set for my 37 Chief that are fantastic. He can make just as original for any year Harley or Indian.

Comment

Working...
                              X