No announcement yet.

Indian Four production numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the same question on 1929-31 Henderson KJs, where I'd like to know the production numbers each year. For the Hendersons you have a double check on the engine numbers from the casting dates in the crankcases. For the Indian listing above the outlier bikes are hundreds higher than the bulk of them, which raises doubts in my mind. Maybe Indian left big gaps in the numbers to flatter production figures? If you ignore the outliers then production numbers would be little more than a couple of hundred a year. There is a list around with all the known ACE four cylinder bikes, produced some years ago, which should give a cross-check against the production estimates in the literature.

Comment

I have seen more 1929 fours than 1930 -1937 fours. when ever I see any four I always look at serial numbers, I only wish I had jotted them down. 1933 is considered lowest production year, it seems that I know of more people with a 33 four than a 33 chief. Highest 4 number was a couple of years ago at Oley #300 & blown up asking $10,000.00

Comment

Yes 1929 was a good year for four cylinder bikes, with the successful launch of the Henderson KJ and Indian getting into their stride after taking over ACE. But October 1929 saw the Wall Street Crash with all motorcycle production nose diving. Schwinn pulled the plug on Excelsior and Henderson early in 1931, and Harley didn't make a four, so that just left Indian from 1932-42. For both remaining manufacturers 1933 model year (1932 calendar year) saw the lowest production levels, with Harley down to 1910/11 production levels and losing money on a two day week running at about 15% of factory capacity. January 1933 saw the inauguration of Franklin D Roosevelt and the New Deal, with an improvement in customer morale leading to increased, but still very restrained, sales of motorcycles. Indian stumbled with the upside down fours and then WW2 stopped domestic four cylinder bike production in the 1942 model year.

Comment

Can you give any clarity to the 1928 production year???? Indian Ace & 401 having a conflict with an original 2nd owner family owned 1928 Indian Ace CA 305....,bike was restored by Mark Hill...well documented, wonder where this would fall. What about the DA series of 401's....not seeing the clarity or accuracy in this time period. What am I missing in interpretation.

Comment

the vast majority of fours you see at meets are 40 - 41 those would be highest production years, my bet would be 1941 & I would be shocked if they made 900.

Comment

Looking at the list concerning all production years, I would buy into April 1928 as "DA" but not EA....is there a possibility of a typo from source to this forum....looking for more clarity....I know, I know, this is asking a lot from Indian historically.

Speaking of history, does anyone know what happened to all the old historical documents and drawings that Gilroy had?

Comment

Originally posted by L Burke View Post
                Can you give any clarity to the 1928 production year???? Indian Ace & 401 having a conflict with an original 2nd owner family owned 1928 Indian Ace CA 305....,bike was restored by Mark Hill...well documented, wonder where this would fall. What about the DA series of 401's....not seeing the clarity or accuracy in this time period. What am I missing in interpretation.

Larry,

I believe the 1927-1930 model numbers should look like this:

1927 INDIAN ACE CA101+ ACE Frame & ACE Fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft
                1928 INDIAN 401 DA101-DA700 Single Downtube, Leaf fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft
                1929-31 INDIAN 402 EA101+ Twin Downtube, 5 main bearing, Large mainshaft

I have seen DA385, DA481 and own DA564.
                Service Shots #24 identifies the production date showing new top frame mount added to 401s made after Dec 6th 1928.
                What number is your 401?

Cheers,
                Andy
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Andy,
                  My 401 is DA435, no anti vibration top bracket, no mount provision on forward bottom tank tube, bike had original early rear brake with single clevis brake rod off the cross over shaft, Engine had Ace style kicker and Ace exhaust manifold.

Comment

I know of Indian Ace CA483 - an old repainted family owned bike..have engine CA481 - need a lot of work but are doable. Hope to get an original chassis one day!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good information for my numbers list....here is a twist, 2 continents apart 1928 - 401 #CA305 , next continent over 1928 Indian Ace with #CA302...extremely will documented original bike....did we have side by side production along with side by side sales?

Comment

Hi Andy,

are you sure about the list you wrote on the Indian Ace production:
                        Larry,

1928 INDIAN 401 DA101-DA700 Single Downtube, Leaf fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft

I would say:

1927 INDIAN ACE VF101+ ACE Frame & ACE Fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft, HOYT METER ammeter (like in the pictures attached on the left side
                        early 1928 INDIAN ACE CA101+ ACE Frame & ACE Fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft, Indian style dash with toggle switch
                        late 1928 INDIAN 401 DA101-DA700 Single Downtube, Leaf fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft
                        Attached Files

Comment

Those 2 pictures show the 2 different Indian Ace types...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Indian Ace

Possibly this is the same bike as used in your photo.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I think so too. Believe the photo was taken after the bike arrived new in England at the importer - see the Norton add in the background? (only visible on the full size picture)
                              Last edited by gsottl; 01-11-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

late 1928, early 1929?

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
                                Hi Andy,

are you sure about the list you wrote on the Indian Ace production:
                                Larry,

I would say:

1927 INDIAN ACE VF101+ ACE Frame & ACE Fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft, HOYT METER ammeter (like in the pictures attached on the left side
                                early 1928 INDIAN ACE CA101+ ACE Frame & ACE Fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft, Indian style dash with toggle switch
                                late 1928 INDIAN 401 DA101-DA700 Single Downtube, Leaf fork, 3 main bearing, Small mainshaft
                                To add a little from observations...my Four has DA908 and is the three main bearing, twin downtube which comes from a run of production between December 1928 and April/May 1929 from what I have researched. It is titled as 1929.

Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X