1936 VL inner primary question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 VL inner primary question

Will the one piece 1936 inner primary cover fit a 1932-35 VL transmission without removing the two rear ears on the transmission?

Dear Buster, I don't think it will fit without serious surgery to the trans case or the inner primary. There are plenty of 1932-35 gearbox cases out there with busted ears, which you can cut off and then transfer the guts of your gearbox. Or of course find out who is now making the two piece inner primaries. The 1936 VL inner primary is a one year part, which we used to find nos, with the usual detailed Harley embellishments, so don't cut it up. Now we have these newfangled paved roads and don't ford so many rivers, another possibility is to leave out the inner primary on a 'rider' bike.

Comment

I never put one of the inner covers on my 1936 VLH because the transmission is from a JD (I believe) so the one piece inner cover wouldn't fit. Mine originally had a 4 speed, but I never had that transmission and it is probably long gone. I do have the correct outer primary cover though because of that little hole on the top at the back of the cover that is used to attach the inner cover. At least I assume that is what makes it a 1936 cover.
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

You can get a pretty good look at the differences on the Replicant Metals site.

http://www.replicantmetals.com/products-vl.html

Comment

Dear Jim, yes the one-year hole in the top is a give away on the 1936 VL primary cover. It screws down into the inner primary to stop it rattling. The one-year rear mounting bracket on the outer primary is also distinctive. I have about half a 1936 VL four speed gearbox if you really want to get your bike back to original...

Comment

So Buster is asking:
            Will the one piece 1936 inner primary cover fit a 1932-35 VL transmission without removing the two rear ears on the transmission?
            I was told you can use the 36 on 32-25 but I wasn't told if the two ears need to be removed. My sesnse is they don't. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Dear John, I think you'd need to remove the rear ear on the 1932-35 VL transmission case to fit the 1936 inner primary, so please don't do it. On the other hand, I've seen a few two eared 1930/31 VL transmission cases with the front ear sawn off in accordance with a Harley Shop Dope after the 1932 style came out, ouch!

Comment

Working...
              X