WLA kick starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA kick starter problem

I'm stumped. I rebuilt my 45 tranny in accordance with the manual. All clearances are correct, end play good, new countershaft, bearings & shifter clutches. Gears are good.
    I also replaced the tripper bolts, as they were worn. Everything turns & shifts smoothly. When I operate the kick lever, it engages correctly and turns the clutch gear. The tripper bolts disengage the kicker at the bottom of the stroke.
    When I release the kicker & the spring pulls the lever back up, it goes about half-way and then re-engages the countershaft gear & clutch gear, turning the clutch gear backwards!! What gives?
    This transmission was part of a basket case collection of parts, so I have never used it in a motorcycle before the rebuild.

Clutch gear turning backwards on the up stroke of the kicker arm is normal with it on the bench. Hold the clutch gear with your hand and pull the kicker up with your other hand and you should feel and hear the starter clutch "ratchet" in the cluster gear until the tripper bolts pull it away from the cluster gear.

Comment

I've tried that, but the clutch gear still turns in reverse. I get a few "clicks" as it starts to ratchet back and then it just grabs & turns. I had initially installed the gearbox and complete primary, and it still turned the engine over in reverse! (without plugs installed).
      That's when I pulled the transmission and replaced the kicker bolts, thinking that might be the problem. The transmission is still dry, could that be a contributing factor?

Comment

I don't use them, but I've seen this with India made starter clutches. The ramps on the backside of the teeth are not correct, which makes it very hard to ratchet. Don't know if you're using OEM parts or not.

Comment

I've heard of that too, but the starter clutch is OEM; I'm not sure about the countershaft gear. It was installed in the transmission when I acquired it. Ever hear of the same problem with the countershaft gear?

Comment

Haven't heard of this specific problem with the India made countershaft gears, but know of many other issues.
            I'm sure that's a possibility. I hate to say it, but it sounds like it needs to come apart again.
            With your countershaft gear assembly out place kicker arm end in a vise, put pressure on the starter clutch spring and rotate the gear backwards.
            You should be able to tell what's going on then. Examine the mating angles of the teeth between the gear and starter clutch and you may can see your problem.

Comment

Have you checked your kick starter shaft in a truing stand? Most of them are bent as when you dump the bike it is the first thing that hits.

Comment

Mystery solved: Improperly machined countershaft gear cluster.
                I had an OEM gear with a broken tooth in my pile of parts. I compared it to the one that was installed in the gearbox, and lo and behold, there was a considerable discrepancy in the depth of the machining between the roller bearing and the ratchet teeth.
                After viewing the pictures of a gear set for sale on Ebay, I took a chance and ordered one (that had come from the recently liquidated Dixie Supply stock) that seemed to most closely match the original. (I couldn't locate an OEM one to save my soul!). Works like it should.
                Restoration: Always an adventure!

Comment

Thanks for the info I will remember that if I have that problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X