Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 45" Kicker won't engage properly

Hi,

For years I've had an issue with the kicker on our 1942 45" transmission. It would not engage firmly and would fall through if any real downward pressure was applied to the kicker. It would work without this issue if you applied pressure to the kick pedal (towards the transmission) and hold that pressure as you kicked over the engine.

So after years of dealing with this, I've pulled and disassembled the transmission. I haven't carefully measured everything yet but a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what is the likely cause of this issue?

Thanks!

Steve Slaminko

Are the tripper bolts good? Aligned properly? Excessive end play on the countershaft? Springs in proper places and not damaged?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I think Robbie nailed it, I recently had trouble with my 54 servi car, tripper bolt was not aligned properly

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
        Hi,

For years I've had an issue with the kicker on our 1942 45" transmission. It would not engage firmly and would fall through if any real downward pressure was applied to the kicker. It would work without this issue if you applied pressure to the kick pedal (towards the transmission) and hold that pressure as you kicked over the engine.

So after years of dealing with this, I've pulled and disassembled the transmission. I haven't carefully measured everything yet but a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what is the likely cause of this issue?

Thanks!

Steve Slaminko
        Hey Steve I just saw your message, good luck with your 45- Vic Blake

Comment

Thanks Everyone,

One more question,
          Which manual would you recommend that would have the best rebuilding guidelines for the 45" transmission?

Comment

Steve
            Check out, 45 Restoration Company's web site. Good assembly drawings and lots of parts. Hope your "new" knee is good.
            Fred Davis.
            Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Hi Again,

I finally reassembled the transmission using the information available in the repair manuals. I've carefully set the main shaft endplay, the low/second gear to retaining bracket endplay and adjusted the shifter clutches per the manual. I've also assembled the countershaft group per the manual with all springs installed. The transmission shifts through all the gears on the bench.

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment shims available for countershaft endplay, therefore unless I'm missing something, you get what you get with the assembly. The countershaft is "spring" loaded so to speak, but by pushing the shaft towards the transmission cover and compressing the spring I have about .070" endplay. All the individual components of the countershaft assembly looked good (visually). Since my initial problem was the kicker falling through unless side pressure was applied to the kick pedal I'm concerned I'm going to have the same problem. Does this amount of countershaft endplay seem correct? If not has anyone else had this issue and how did they correct it?

As always I appreciate your input,

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Is the spring behind the kicker gear good as well? It needs to push the gear out enough to stay engaged as the gear is release by the tripper bolts.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hey Robbie,

I replaced both springs during the rebuild. As far as a bench test, it seems the kicker is engaging and dis-engaging properly but it's difficult to exert enough rotation restraint on the clutch gear to simulate kicking against engine compression.

Do you have a 45 that you can check to see if the countershaft on that one has what I consider "a large" end play?

In any case thanks for the reply!

Steve Slaminko

Comment

I finished the assembly of the 45 in the last few weeks. Once I got the primary drive completed it became apparent that I didn't fix the kick starting problem. So for now I think I'll put it in the "corner of shame" where I can look at it and remind myself that, although not an every day occurrence, failure is always an option. Anyhow thanks to all of you who offered helpful suggestions. Here's few pictures of the "finished" bike. This was put together by my wife to be around 1980. She started with a frame, front end, transmission, gas/oil tanks and wheels. We purchased a rebuilt 1942 WLA engine from an old Indian dealer in Fairborn, Ohio. Most of the other parts came from a motorcycle junk yard near Troy, Ohio called Spenser's Motorcycle Parts (AKA Spook's). Spook's was motorcycle junk yard heaven! I bought a bunch of HD and Indian stuff there. 001.jpg004.jpgAnyhow in 1980 we put this bike together for less than $1,500.00. I added some new parts this time (wiring harness, tool box,..) so now we have about $2,000.00 in it. We'll be adding to that when I decide to try and "fix" it again.

Comment

Slamiste, I have been experiencing the same issue for four years in my '46 WL. Last rebuild had me replace the starter gear and cluster gear as both were lightly damaged from the slipping. NOS tripper bolts and springs. Also had it all reviewed by a Pro, everything looked great. But alas on Saturday she did a full push thru twice, third time engaged and fired right up. I also would love to hear about a good solution. The only thing in the mix that has not been changed for NOS is the counter shaft itself.

Comment

Your kicker gear and clutch gear are not meshing properly. Change them. Do not use repop.

Comment

Email me. I will send you and PDF file.

Comment

Paps,

Is your email address available somewhere on this forum?

Comment

I sent you a PM with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X