1925 Super X Paint Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1925 Super X Paint Options

Can anyone tell me the paint options for a 1925 Super X, I know green but anything else, thanks.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Hi --- I'm a bit tardy in responding. According to Otis Spiker, the Factory started offering special colors in 1926. I have seen pictures of white De Luxes from the mid twenties. Officially, the earliest reference to options colors I have seen was for the 1928 models.

Bob Turek

Comment

So you think the green was all that was available in 1925? Thanks.
      Louie
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Paint options for Excelsiors, and Hendersons have always been an interesting topic. I have no doubt that every motorcycle manufacturer would paint any motorcycle, any color you wanted - for a price. Also, in reading the classified ads in the back of early trade magazines from the pre-teens through the 20s; re-paints, and re-plating were very common. The problem for us today is finding factory written proof that different colors were offered. Somewhere I have pictures of new, white Series 20 Excelsiors in Chicago, and text from 1917 that said Henderson had supplied Olive Green Model G motorcycles. However, that is anecdotal information, and not directly from the factory.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I built four Super X's in the 90's and my friend has three about 30 miles to the south. I gave all my paperwork and photos to Matt Olsen some years ago. I believe if I remember correctly that 25 and 26 were indeed only produced in Sage Green but I know in 28 thru 31 Sage Green, Maroon, Dark Blue, White and Black were available. You could also get a paint job that had 2 cream stripes (2" wide) over the fenders and cream panels on the tank sides. I painted a late 28 low frame model with this paint scheme and my friend has an original paint 29 or 30 model with this paint scheme. One piece of paper I gave Matt had all the color information listed. I hope this helps. I might add that I put many, many miles on my 28 X and at the same time had a 30 101 and they both ran and handle the same. Wonderfully!
          DrSprocket

Comment

Super X paint

27 was only Sage Green too. The optional paint scheme was an additional 5 dollars. QUOTE=RichO;167391]I built four Super X's in the 90's and my friend has three about 30 miles to the south. I gave all my paperwork and photos to Matt Olsen some years ago. I believe if I remember correctly that 25 and 26 were indeed only produced in Sage Green but I know in 28 thru 31 Sage Green, Maroon, Dark Blue, White and Black were available. You could also get a paint job that had 2 cream stripes (2" wide) over the fenders and cream panels on the tank sides. I painted a late 28 low frame model with this paint scheme and my friend has an original paint 29 or 30 model with this paint scheme. One piece of paper I gave Matt had all the color information listed. I hope this helps. I might add that I put many, many miles on my 28 X and at the same time had a 30 101 and they both ran and handle the same. Wonderfully![/QUOTE]
            DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks Dr, exactly the info I needed!
              Louie
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Sage Green is the correct one for your 25, the early 29 catalog (still flat tank, not Steamline) states that Sage green is still standard, but maroon or grass green is available at no extra charge.

The 1925 brochure states : Sage Green with red and black striping, cream wheels. Handlebars, lamp brackets, etc finished in black

Comment

Working...
                X