32vl rear wheel play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32vl rear wheel play

Gents I have alittle more side to side play on my rear wheel assembly it looks like the brake HUD is moving a bit more then I would like. Any ideas to remedy this.or just get one with less ware . Thanks

The VL has plain roller bearings rather than tapered ones in the hubs, so there will always be some side play at the wheel rim. Hubs are often incorrectly assembled, or with worn rollers and incorrect thickness spacers, so check these first. Then the problem is wear on the hub splines. Harley had short splines in 1930/31, then longer ones for 1932-36, with felt seals fitted to keep out the dust, but seals are often missing and the passage of time means we see hubs with worn splines. You can put a second support bearing in the wheel hub, replace the hub internals with a modern tapered bearing set-up, bodge the splines with brass shim stock or resin, but ultimately you want to try to find different hubs with better splines.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I have your book ,it's been a great help. the splines are the correct years in the hub and drum thanks to your book .the hub was rebuilt by harbor vintage (RAT). So that being said I believe it the play is just ware in the splines. I think I'm going to try the brass repair untill I find a better one . It being my first 1932v build overcoming some of these set backs that I have never experienced before.its nice to here from someone who has thank you

Comment

Ray Bartomeli makes a complete replacement bearing/axle setup for VL's.
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Thank you for the information I'll keep that in mind

Comment

Working...
          X