spoke identification help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spoke identification help needed

DSC05725.jpgThe spoke on the right I'm almost certain is a standard 18" for all star hubs and Sportster rear. The thread is 40/in. and diameter is .160 or so. Without doing my homework I bought a set of 18" spokes at the last meet I went to. The pack contained 20 of each spoke shown in the middle and left, they came with nipples and are as described by Palmer 1960-1984 style. (assuming these are HD spokes) The hook ends are 2 different lengths and longer than orig 18" shown on the right. The overall length of all the spokes is the same and the nipple threads on all the spokes making the pitch all the same and are not metric. Can someone tell me what I bought? Thanks.
    Bob Rice #6738

I do not know for sure but early disc brake XL FX front wheels have spokes similar to this. Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I'll look in that direction.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The nipples are the part that is hard to match up with the new spokes available...

Comment

The factory spokes and nipples went metric thread in 1977.
          VPH-D

Comment

All of these spokes have a 40 pitch thread.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob, those look like Sportster/FX front wheel spokes for flanged alloy hubs.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledge that is more than I have. I will check into what has been mentioned. Much appreciated.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                X