Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1962 BMW need help what it is and worth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 BMW need help what it is and worth.

KIMG0002.jpgKIMG0003.jpgKIMG0001.jpg
    Sorry I started a new thread but this is the barn find save from scrap BMW. I have the engine case # need to know how to read it. Engine appears sized but idk if it's a top or btm end issue. Any help is great thank you!
    Last edited by Johnboy1980; 08-22-2017, 08:25 PM.

What I saw on a web site it's an R50/2?

Comment

If it is an R50 the first two digits should be 63. Some are 64 but later than the one you show. If an R60 it will be 61.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

First three are 640..... What does that make it?

Comment

The case number falls in between 630001-649037. Says it's a R50/2--1960-1969

Comment

The best things on it are the saddlebags and turn signals. Regretfully it has the small tank, not the accessory large one, has the awful large seat, it is missing the exhaust system one valve cover and intake pipe, and has been allowed to weather badly. The R50 is the least desirable of the various models even though most parts are common between them. In the condition it is in it is all over the board as to value. With that carb hanging like that it obviously had some issues when parked. Does it turn over? Restoration of one is quite spendy! I purchased two in similar condition a couple years ago for $3500 for both, an R50 and an R60. If it has a title it is worth a bit more than without, but it is easy to get upside down on one. The good thing is virtually everything is available for it. As I mentioned though it is all expensive, and one in unknown condition usually requires a complete teardown and slinger clean or even total rebuild. Restored R50s bring in the 7-8K range. The ones I bought I sold for around 3500 each but in running and usable condition.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you very much Robbie, that info is very helpful. Im more of a Harley guy but love them all. I did not get a title but he's trying to see if it's obtainable. I have a bill of sale and probably​ going to sell it as a parts bike if I can rather than take it apart myself. Would a asking price of $2000 obo be in the right ballpark?
              Last edited by Johnboy1980; 08-23-2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

$2000 would be a very fair price. The saddlebags are worth a fair bit if all the mounts and such are there. I would be interested in them if they become available. The fairings are common and most BMW guys have one or two kicking around. Here is a picture of my '55 R69 with a pair of those bags on it.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdy sir,

As mentioned, if a complete machine in this condition to start with, because of parts commonality, an R50 can cost nearly as much as the more desirable R69S to restore. From a marketing standpoint, as much as I would yearn to save, or sell separately, those Enduro bags - they are the key feature of this machine - their inclusion will make for a far more painless sale and that sale as a complete lump. Let the next likely devoted BMW owner deal with the aftermath after hurriedly removing them.

/2's are very robust machines with few real component weaknesses and unlike HD's generally survive complete not having been drawn into the chopper era. After initially selling off a few key pieces easily one can be left with a lot stuff using up valuable space gathering dust on their shelves (ask me how I know).

Robbie, is that a 4.00 x 18 on the back of yours or a 3.50, very nice and rare machine.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thank you I will get it unloaded and some better pics of it. That's a really nice bike you have there too. If I can't sell it as a whole parts bike I will let you know regarding the bags. Thanks again Robbie

Comment

Sorry just reloaded and I see your comment Peter. I do prefer to sell this whole, if it doesn't move I may part it out but prefer to move it to someone who can use it whole. It's the only BMW I have. Just saving it from scrap yard lol. My appreciation of all motorcycles lol. Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                        has the awful large seat, .
                        I actually prefer the large seat, particularly with a large tank like the Heinrich I had on a R69S
                        1914 P&M
                        1915 Indian (project)
                        1930 M50 Panther
                        1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Posted for sale, German thank you

Comment

Robbie: Very nice bike. I'm in the process of restoring a '55 R69, serial #089. It has all of it's original early features. It has the 2-lens Eber and flat license plate bracket. Is your transmission the original non-S version with the low first gear? Does most of the hardware on the bike have the original finish, or been refinished as original? I'm trying to get this bike as correct as I can and have identified most of the hardware finishes. Did you use an R69S exhaust or the standard R50/60? Thanks for any info. dmcmunncbx@gmail.com

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X