VL Plating Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Plating Information

So you take your bike to get judged and find out you've chromed a part that was to be Zink or Cad plated. Has anyone put together a list for plating and finish for the VL?

John,
    The best resource is Steve Slocombe's book. Appendix F has a good summary. VL's do not have much chrome. Inspection covers, shift lever, throttle and advance cover, head light and tail light cover, air intake, horn face for '34s.
    Last edited by Greg Fittro; 08-16-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Tank caps & hand brake lever

Comment

I think no zinc was used back then.

Comment

Dear John, I think my latest finishes list Version 5.02 of 18 Jan 2013 is still good. Harley were pretty rigorous on the chrome package after 1932, so it's all or nothing and odd chromed items will take a hit from the judges. There was no zinc on the VLs, but I'm sympathetic when it's used to simulate cadmium, which is hard to get done and now illegal in many countries.

Comment

Hi Steve,
            Thanks for the info. I think I better get busy glass beading spokes as there are two places here which are still doing Cad plating. One very expensive the other other not as bad. They both know that one day they'll have to stop so I better get my act together. I can't wait till this one is done. I miss riding the VL.

Comment

Dear John, I digress, but think life is too short to be glass beading spokes when you could be riding. I think judges hitting repro spokes and nipples on restored bikes is an anomaly, as they are the best available repro which elsewhere goes through without deduction. I took this up with the Chief Judge at Oley, and Don took it to the Judging Committee who held their ground. All my restored bikes now take a half point hit per wheel for incorrectly shaped nipples and shiny spokes - but you 'only' need 95 points for Winners Circle...

Comment

Colorado Cadmium Plating, 303-469-1749. I just had all of mine done, I prepared it, they charge I think $125 for 15 lbs. I think they did excellent work, I was very pleased and real nice people to deal with.

Comment

About plating, Folks,..

Are there absolutely no platers that can produce the proper flat, gray nickel finish as so many carbs had originally?

I got a pre-prepped HX back from an East Coast plater to whom I explicity outlined the differences with photos, etc.
                  It showed up looking like chrome.

And it was his own carb.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Nitric acid may dull nickel but be sure to neutralize it after you get the desired finish.

Comment

I appreciate the reply, no6,...

But its still a shame there are (apparently) no USA platers that will do it like it was.

Is it because the 'public' demands "over-restored"?

....Cotten
                      PS: If I must mess with it, I might as well fake it from the start as I always have.
                      It's faster, it can be touched up, and a helluvalot cheaper.

I even can even leave what's left of the original un-touched, and match to it.
                      Send it to a plater, and History is gone forever.
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Tom, the problem with finding a plater that will do 'gray' nickel is there is no demand. Gray, or dull nickel is the old process before brighteners were commonly included in nickel baths. A plater I knew, called it 'sugar' and it was a process that was discovered during WW2, and would make nickel bright, thus making chrome plating less labor intensive, hence, less expensive. Jim Latin was doing the old process for restoration years ago, and there must be someone out there that will still do that.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Well then Eric,

If there is no demand, their own 'stink finger' must be pointed back at the AMCA Judges!

History weeps....

...Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Maybe consult Mike Mallay?
                            Thought some Dayton company's could do nickel plate. It was an old contact.

Comment

Dear Tom, my plater does flat/dull/grey nickel, as well as bright nickel, but is in the UK. The flat nickel varies slightly depending how long the solutions have been in use, but is very close to original. Like you, I think bright nickel looks horrible and you'd be better off putting in the carburettor body as found.

Comment

Working...
                              X