No announcement yet.

1950 Panhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a great repair, Craig. I guess it really helps to have a genuine H-D intake tap
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      Looks like a homemade head holder screwed into the plug hole for the pics.
      Looks like I need my eyes checked!
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I have to admit. I've never seen a home made tail light lens like the one that came on this bike. (See pics) I think that it started out as a '60's Chevy truck tail light lens. I thought that I might replace it.
        Craig CIMG0636.jpgCIMG0635.JPGCIMG0633.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
          I have to admit. I've never seen a home made tail light lens like the one that came on this bike. (See pics) I think that it started out as a '60's Chevy truck tail light lens. I thought that I might replace it.
          Craig [ATTACH=CONFIG]21936[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21937[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21938[/ATTACH]
          Very crafty! I like it

Comment

I'm back on this project, trying to button it up. I rebuilt 2 good hubs and dug out 2 good rims. Then I pulled out a couple of bin boxes of OEM spokes and could not find 40 ( much less 80 ) good looking spokes. All needed to be replated. So for now is plan B. Use the 2 aftermarket wheels that came on the bike 'til I can build a couple of correct wheels. First I washed the tires and dug out the Tire Black to cover the hideous white walls. Next step, install the drums. Included is a couple of pics of what I found. The lug bolts won't go through the holes in the hub. You have to try to get your hand through the spokes with a lug bolt between 2 fingers and use your other hand to put the lug wrench through the hole and start the lug bolt. These aftermarket hubs stick out like a sore eye, the way they are made. Not like the OEM 3 piece hub.CIMG1213.jpgCIMG1212.jpgCIMG1216.jpgCIMG1222.JPGCIMG1223.JPG
            Craig

Comment

Another thing that I just found is the valve stem holes on the rims are on different sides. The rear rim was laced backwards, with the valve stem on the brake side and the front one is correct with the stem on the star side. These look like Ted's wheels.
              CraigCIMG1224.jpgCIMG1225.jpg

Comment

I forgot to mention how much fun it was to install the fat Maxxis MT-90 16 on this machine. It probably took me a couple of hours trying different ways to install it. First with the backing plate attached to the frame. Then wrestling the whole brake assy. mounted to the wheel and so on. I knew that it had to go on, because it's what came off this bike. I NEVER had this problem with the good old 500x16 or even the later 510x16 tires.
                Craig

Comment

Working...
                X