Headlight ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight ID

I picked up this headlight a few weekends ago thinking it was motorcycle. Could anyone ID it for me? It has a similar shape to that of a Solar Doughboy but from some of the pics I have seen it is not exactly the same. Measures 8" over all diameter, lens measures 6" diameter. I do not see any markings. In the last pics I have it next to a JD headlight I have for size comparison.

Mike
    Attached Files

At first glance it looks like the ubiquitous teens 'doughboy' light that was used on H-Ds, Indians, Excelsiors, Hendersons, etc.; but, it's a bit different. I did see a light that very much resembles that in Jerry Hatfield's Indian Photographic History book. It looks just like the light used in 1922, on the Standard, and first Chief.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I agree. It looks very similar to the Solar "Doughboy" but the bezel retainer is completely different.
      Any sigh of a logo on the top as on the Solar?
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Eric, would you happen to have a picture of Jerry Hatfields picture? When I looked on google for a pic of 1922 chief's the pictures don't show a clear shot of the light.

Mark, I don't see any markings and was hesitant to clean the light very much since it will most likely be a part I end up selling. Reflector is a single bulb and is rivited in place.

Comment

You can see a bit more detail if you save this picture to your computer, and then blow it up. I believe this is your headlight, and it would be interesting to know if it is a Solar light.

Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

Yes, that does look pretty similar. I think I am satisfied that the headlight is in fact motorcycle mostly due to its size. I will go over the light again to see if I can find any manufacture markings. There a manufacture marking on the lens itself as Monogram.

Comment

Working...
            X