Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLD fuel tank leaks

Hello
    Trying to finalize my project but hit another snag. Putting in fluids for the initial start up my left side fuel tank,which has had many poor repairs not by me, began to weep. The leak is at a repair in the fuel shut off threaded part of the tank. I live in southern New Jersey and I need a to find a good repair company. Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks J Kelly

Old tanks can develop pinholes anywhere, bottom is common from condensation.
    Reproduction tanks are available, this is best option.
    I have repaired tanks, others have repaired tanks, one pinhole or defect, big chance there are others, tank can fail when riding setting bike on fire and risk of serious injury.

Comment

Do you mean that it is leaking from the threads? OR just that area?

It's a wonder someone hasn't developed a rubber bladder that fits inside the gas tanks.

Also since you're from South NJ, do you belong to the AMCA Seaboard Chapter?
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Hi Jim
        Yes I am a member. That whole area around the threaded boss has been badly soldered. I was hoping it was just the threads but not my luck. I was still planing to starting it up, I was just not going to put any fuel in that tank. Do you know the supplier of those repo tanks.
        Thanks for the response.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am leaving the bike in an unrestored state making it difficult to match the patina of the right tank to match the new left tank. Safety over patina wins. Do you know of a good supplier of repo tanks.
          Thanks again J Kelly

Comment

We'll have to get together someday and swap VL notes. I also live in NJ and belong to the Seaboard Chapter. There is a meeting today, but since it's Mothers Day, I won't be going.

Replicant Products sells the tanks.

Gas Tank page: http://www.replicantmetals.com/slide...nks/index.html

Main Page: http://www.replicantmetals.com/products.html
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

As Jim says Replicant Metals in Lancaster PA. Tom Feeser. I have had Indian and VL tanks worked on but replacing the tanks is the best option. The problem with repairing soldered tanks is once you fix one spot another usually pops open. If repairing then total disassembly and rebuild is the most advisable in my opinion. If not you will just keep chasing the problem. Hard to find folks now who do good solder work and have the correct tools. Check this site for the numerous discussions on this and you will see what I am talking about. I had a 36 VLH catch fire, and trust me although the damage was slight as I had a fire exstinguisher handy, I had to change my undies! Seeing flames 3' above the tanks gets your heart pumping. Good Luck!

Tom (Rollo) hardy
              AMCA#12766

Comment

What year is your VLD John? For what it's worth--on eBaY, there's someone selling New VL tanks shipped out of India. Decent price difference, but have only pictures to go on as far as quality & Workmanship! Maybe someone dealt with that supplier, since the same outfit i see, sells for many other makes and models. Just punch in *(Harley VL Gas Tank). Good Luck. *M.A.D.*

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg
                Last edited by JoJo357; 05-14-2017, 09:51 PM. Reason: additional picture

Comment

there's someone selling New VL tanks shipped out of India
                  Replicant makes excellent parts and sheet metal, India makes sh!t

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

My VLD is a 1935

Comment

Geloman (Germany) might make a set of VL tanks too. Might take up to 6 months and half the price, just pressure test them when they ship in. I've never seen a picture or proof that Feeser makes his tanks, if I saw one I'd be ecstatic! He's a nice guy though. If you want real American made tanks Jethro Smith is an option too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                          Replicant makes excellent parts and sheet metal
                          I'm very pleased with the late model tank set I picked from Tom (Replicant) yesterday! Before going overseas with a purchase, I suggest calling or emailing Tom. Listen to him explain his processes, the exacting details that go into the fabrication. You get what you pay for.

The tank shown in earlier photos don't look right. If 2 photos of the same tank - the 1st looks late model tank from the top view (fuel bungs across from one another) and the 2nd photo looks like a mix of late and early model tanks - Straight fuel outlet bungs looks early and Front spark plug relief looks late model. I'm not sure if the photos are of the same tank.
                          William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                          http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

If I might add a bit of info too.
                            I have a few sets of Tom's tanks (Replicant Metals) and can attest to the excellence of them.
                            The India tanks are not much less and nothing like the ones from Replicant.
                            If you really want to repair the existing I can recommend an expert.
                            Although a bit far he receives tanks from everywhere.
                            Harvey Fergusson, Leakers Gas Tanks Inc. 1-250-499-0199 in Keremeos BC
                            I have original tanks on a fully restored VLDD. The right had a think weep.
                            Harvey located and fixed, cleaned and lined the tanks. He uses his own blend of tank coating, not RedCoat etc.
                            He does do these repairs, coating without damaging paint (provided of course the repair is out of sight as mine was)
                            www.aclmotorcyclecollection.com

Comment

I took my JD tanks to a radiator shop to have all the soldering done right,
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X