4 speed over drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed over drive question

Hi Folks, I have one of those new 4 speed overdrives for my Chout and I was just wondering. They are constant mesh, so given that - is the stock clutch the way to go, or do folks upgrade the clutch. With a King clutch or something ? your experiences ? thanks Tom

With 3 broken ears on my 3 speed and the need for a new case and rebuild, I am considering going to a new 4 speed. I have wondered the same about clutches. I would like to be able to keep up better with newer bikes on poker runs, not 75 mph but a little easier on the bike at 50 or so would be nice. Anyone out there have thoughts for Tom and I, Not trying hijack a thread but the clutch question interests me as well as new 4 speed testimonials.

Comment

I am running the 4 speed with a Qua clutch from Europe, almost 12,000 miles and I love it. It is kind of grabby and you really need to be familiar with it to be smooth. That being said I know someone running a King with a 4 speed and he likes it. I would think the King, Kiwi, or stock clutch would be fine. My '48 easily runs at 75mph with no issues. After riding with the 4 speed you will not want to ride a 3 speed ever again.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the replies, was wondering. I have heard the same and have now ridden a Chief with both the 4 and stock 3 speed. That's what I was hoping for, just to be able to run freeway speeds and not feel like my engine is running to hard. 60 - 65 and I well be very happy.

Comment

Tom, My friend John Crawford from B.C has a four speed in his Chief and he loves it. Long time no see Tom. Hope all is well with you. Best regards, Rich
          DrSprocket

Comment

Very cool Rich, thanks - I hope to make Dixon, my first time there. Hope to see ya there :-)

Comment

Tom, Yes, please try and make Dixon. it's our 17th National. It's just about in my backyard (twenty miles). It's more than worth the drive for you. Regards, Rich
              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
              X