• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Here are the photos that have been referred to by Spacke2speed

The first 2 are of a '15 with the shifting interlocks on the front
    IMG_0757 smaller.jpgIMG_0760 smaller.jpg

These next three have the interlock occurring on the shifter. Pics of the shifter will be in the next post.

IMGP0542.JPGIMGP0543.JPG

Thanks for sending me the pics
    Last edited by panthersteve; 05-05-2017, 01:39 AM.
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Here are pics of the shifter

Missing from the pictures is the ball on the end of the shifter.* The ball has a recess for a spring which locks the paddle in the notches on the quadrant.* At the top of the quadrant is the word “HIGH” and at the bottom of the quadrant is the word “LOW”.

IMGP0544.JPGIMGP0545.JPGIMGP0546.JPG
      1914 P&M
      1915 Indian (project)
      1930 M50 Panther
      1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Now that I have posted those pics a question, am I right in assuming the second gearbox with the interlock at the shifter is a 2 speed? The reason I assume this is that I can only see 3 locking positions which would be High and Low as you mentioned and Neutral.

If this is 2 speed was the 3 speed gearbox also available in this style or would a 3 speed be like the other gearbox pictured with the interlock on the gearbox.

Cheers
        Steve
        1914 P&M
        1915 Indian (project)
        1930 M50 Panther
        1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Steve
          The two-speed transmission are a lot narrower and smaller when compared to a three speed. Yes, the transmission pictured without the interlock is a three speed.
          If you look at the picture (middle one) of the shifter taken from the gas tank side (with the mounting tabs towards you), you can just make out that at the bottom there is a third notch (vertical notch) on the front of the bottom flat mounting part. When the shifting lever is all the way down, the interlock paddle’s locking tab actual locks in place below the quadrant.
          Back then, at that time, I had a choice of which transmission I wanted to use as I had both types. I liked the way the shifter and ball looked and operating with the paddle interlock. So that was the shifter and transmission I used for a little over 25 years of riding that Indian.
          Spacke2speed

Comment

Thanks, I can see the notch now you explain where it is

You were lucky having both to choose from, I haven't been able to find either for sale yet despite having wanted adds in a few places and talking to many people.

Cheers
            Steve
            1914 P&M
            1915 Indian (project)
            1930 M50 Panther
            1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

IMG_20170314_165501225.jpg this is are numbers off of are1918 PP.

Comment

Dave (Beddo)-If you can please check the S/N on your 3 speed 1917 little twin that would be fantastic thank you.

Tom- Thank you for the photo's of your 1916 transmission. This helps quite a bit.

Dale- Thank you for the more detailed photos of your 1917 transmission in your powerplus. If you don't want to scrape the grime off that is fine. Your photos have been helpful.

Steve- Thank you for uploading the photos Spacke2speed trying doing. This makes a lot more sense showing the differences. It really shows my '15 transmission is definitely the same as the first set of photos.

Olie- Thank you for your photo of your 1918 trans number. It is tricky to see the first character. Is it a 1 or a "T"?

Thank you everyone for the help.

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Spacke2speed View Post
                  Also of note, the clutch on a ’15 is different than ’16 and later clutches – such as chain width, pressure plate and pressure plate mounting screws.
                  Spacke2speed
                  Holy thread revival :-)

I was wondering if you have more details on the differences between '15 and '16 and later clutches and how to tell the difference by looking at them as my location often means I am sourcing parts via email/websites so only have pictures to go by.

Cheers
                  Steve
                  1914 P&M
                  1915 Indian (project)
                  1930 M50 Panther
                  1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Working...
                  X