No announcement yet.

101 Scout... going to take a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, not much to to report as it’s now the summer ride season and I concentrated on getting my Chief ready, and then riding it! But I have run into a question about the holes in the casting for the kicker return stop. The forward hole had a broken off bolt in it.

I tried a couple of methods for removal but then resorted to drilling and re-tapping. When I drilled the front hole I could go deep into the casting, but with the rear hole it appears that there is either another broken bolt in there, or that rear hole requires a short bolt as the frame tube is brazed far enough into the casting to keep the hole shallow.

So I wonder if anyone can tell me if the rear hole for the kicker stop is normally shallow like this? Thanks!

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Good job splitting the tank. I did the tank on my 101, and it is a job, but worth the effort. Getting it clean is the key, and a lot harder than it seems. I also made the mounting bungs much bigger diameter than the originals, which gave more bearing surface inside the tank.

Keep up the good work. 101's are special!

Comment

Originally posted by djones View Post
        Keep up the good work. 101's are special!
        Thanks Doug, and now I feel like I shouldn't have started this thread because it's very difficult to keep one of these threads current! When I have the spare time I will work on the 101...OR I'll ride my Chief and completely neglect updating the build report on the internet! BTW, I continue to use your build story and pictures as reference, extremely helpful, thank-you! So I will put some time into updates....after Labor Day! I've made progress!

Comment

I second that, keep up the good work Harry, that 101 is going to be great!
          Damon
          AMCA # 3233

Comment

It's very difficult to stay on top of a build thread. Taking pictures at critical junctures often interferes with the enthusiasm of the project. . . But, it's worth it, and I think most everyone will agree that a build thread is their most favorite feature on this forum.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              It's very difficult to stay on top of a build thread. Taking pictures at critical junctures often interferes with the enthusiasm of the project. . . But, it's worth it, and I think most everyone will agree that a build thread is their most favorite feature on this forum.
              You're spot on Eric, member builds is my my favorite to see how others approach problems as well as to to have a sneak peak at their work area. I follow garage builds Garage Journal, wood machinist chest restorations, even off the the grid homestead builds, anything with a serial build is of interest. I know on this thread the it started out with "This probably won't be very good, but here it goes." That couldn't be further from the truth. Plan it, build it, document it. It is of huge value when preserving the heritage of old stuff. Thanks

Mike Love

Comment

Very well said, Mike. Like you said, when a person humbly says they feel overwhelmed by a project, you know they are going to do everything they can to find the information they need, and do the job correctly. Of course it's also beneficial to see how an expert does something as well Pictures, and text are the key, however.
                Last edited by exeric; 08-31-2018, 02:09 PM.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Looking forward to your up dates

Comment

I went for completion on one item to show myself some progress! The saddle was pretty much an incomplete skeleton so I worked on that first (last year...)

The pan was in trouble, some cracks and blown out holes:

So I did some welding up of the holes and cracks, and fabricated a missing threaded insert for an optional Mesinger back rest (which I don't have)

I also needed a few parts (there's a bunch of parts in one of these seats!), but the few missing parts were available through Walker

...and sent the seat off to Michael Paquette of Worsham Castle... I am quite pleased with the results, thanks Michael!

Comment

Next up was the RH handlebar, a messy sausage looking thing so I decided to replace the right side only

Cut off the old bar and had a friend mill out the casting so that new tubing could be installed, and since he was so helpful he cut the slot for the cable puller. We decided to simply match the rise of the new bar to the LH side, even though the 101 R&O manual tells of a different rise!

Comment

The gearbox was my next stop, I opened it up to find the slider gear pretty well past its prime

I tracked down a new gear and added that to my stash for when I rebuild it. Up top I had a left hand shifting tower, and I mistakenly thought all would have to do is reverse the tower and voila! But the actuating arm is offset so it's not that simple. The arm is riveted to the shaft that the shifter attaches to, so I carefully ground off the mushroomed end of the rivet and tapped it out. Greer's sells replacement rivets for later Scout gearboxes and they happen to be the same size...that was an easy find!

Comment

What was the cost to recover the seat? Thanks Mike

Comment

Originally posted by banjomike View Post
                            What was the cost to recover the seat? Thanks Mike
                            Without looking it up I'd say it was right around $300. Don't tell my wife, please! We have an understanding....she doesn't ask and I don't tell (unless it shows up from Ebay and it was inexpensive!)

Comment

Very cool, I just replaced the tubes in my handlebars. Just cut and shortend my trans tower 1 1/8th inch and I am going to have to make a new shaft like the one your showing, that the shiftter attaches too. Keep at it and keep the updates coming.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, and text, Harry. What you're doing is my favorite part of messing with old motorcycles. I hope you're having fun.
                                Eric Smith
                                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                                X