No announcement yet.

101 Scout... going to take a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I've got the spokes and nipples all painted so that I can lace the hubs to the rims.... realizing of course that checking sheet metal fit without wheels is not the best thing to do!

Last edited by pisten-bully; 06-26-2019, 04:54 PM.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

For some strange reason the pictures don’t show on my I-pad. They do show on my desktop machine.

Now they don't even show on my desktop...so I reloaded them. Strange!
      Last edited by pisten-bully; 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

It’s good to see someone else working on a 101. I had to make the brackets for my fenders and it took forever to get everything lined up correctly. Good luck and keep posting.
        Dana
        web : https://thecastlehillgarage.com/
        Instagram : thecastlehillgarage

Comment

I'm hoping someone can give me a measurement next time they remove their front wheel? I'm still having difficulty fitting the front fender and I suspect the arc of the fender is either too flat or too tight, and I'd like to use the original braces and holes. Thanks in advance!

Comment

On my repop fender it is exactly 31 inches. Hope this helps
            Dana
            web : https://thecastlehillgarage.com/
            Instagram : thecastlehillgarage

Comment

The front fender for my 1929 Four (same as 101) is a little rough but also measures 31 inches.
              Tom

Comment

Could it be that your front guard is off 29-30 indian 4? Same style but i think they had a longer fork like a chief hence why your braces are more suited to a longer fork?

Comment

Interesting suggestion Mick! And thanks Dana and Tom for measuring, my fender is just short of 31" (by maybe a 1/16"), and Carl-Erik Renquist measured his up for me at 280mm (or 30.7") ...so the arc of my fender is not the problem! Maybe it is from a four cylinder???

Anyway... been doing some wheel lacing lately:

Comment

Very nice work Harry, thank you for taking the time to share it with us!
                    AMCA # 3233

Comment

Hello Harry,

I measured the dimension you ask on front fenders I have as follows:
                      1929 402 (in good shape) - 29 5/8 in.
                      Unknown year 101 Scout (in fairly good shape) - 30 in.
                      Unknown year 101 Scout (in rough shape) - 29 1/2 in.
                      (As per the dimensions from the 101 Scout R & O Manual, 1928 - '31 fenders are the same.)
                      If you like, contact me personally if I can try to help further, though I'm not a frequent
                      contributor to the forum and am not an expert!
                      For those others who read this, they are not for sale.
                      Good luck continuing with your project.
                      John

Comment

The Indian parts book show the front fender for the 101 and four cylinder have the same part number.
                        Tom

Comment

Your wheel looks great, Harry. Nice work. Fender stays have always been something of a mystery to me in that you can take them off a bike where they looked okay, then when re-installed, they don't fit. There are a lot of reasons for this such as reworked frames and forks, and metal work to the fender itself that all can change the previous geometry. One thing I have found that will drive a person crazy is the front fork. The slightest difference in rigid fork lengths, and angles will wreak havoc with fender fits. Rigid forks can be difficult to measure accurately because they can be bent in so many different places. A surface plate, straight edges, V-blocks, height gauge, and custom fixtures help a lot, only to discover you have to straighten the damn thing. Well, my post is over 4 lines long and that means Duffy won't be reading it Just wanted to send you some support, and an atta'boy.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

forks are the same on 401/402 and 101 Scouts - Chiefs have a different fork, but also a completely different front fender. The difference between the 101 and 401/402 frontend is the spring. Scout has 6 leafs - Four has 7 leafs (same or similar to Chief- would need to check the parts books for that).

Comment

...back to the wheels for a moment, I debated whether to paint the spokes and nipples before lacing, or wait until after. I guess it doesn't make much difference because in my case I'll need to paint, or touch up, the spokes and nipples again due to all the battle scars incurred during lacing and tensioning:

Almost all the spoke nipples got scraped up during inserting or tensioning:

...and the spoke "elbows" were scraped up, as well as some nicks and chips caused by yours truly:

Conclusion, in my case maybe painting after lacing would have been just as good!

Comment

...and back to the front fender braces. I want to thank everyone who gave me measurements and advice, mostly you helped me confirm my fender is curved properly and my braces are close to being the correct length. I can correct the fit by shortening the lower brace and calling it good, but it will still bug me as to why it doesn't fit without modifying by shortening the brace... but I will probably be the only one who knows!(except I just put it up on the internet, didn't I?)

Comment

Working...
                                X