X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkers Indian Australia???
    The exchange rate is good.

Comment

• If your on Facebook look up darryl white in Queensland Australia. He should have what u need and ships international as well

Comment

• The 37 c.i. 101 Scout was exported more than sold here, so I’ve been wondering about sources in Australia and New Zealand. I forgot about Parker, good idea Paul. Mick, I haven’t belonged to Facebook for a few years, do you know how to otherwise contact Darryl White?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Sent u a pm harry

Comment

• Plan B:

May be to find someone capable of custom casting & machining service using old right hand case as a pattern.

But; I am hoping you find a replacement.

Comment

• Anything new with your 101, Harry?
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

• Eric, I looked and didn’t find another RH crankcase that didn’t need repair, but I did find two complete engines with transmissions ready to go....they were both for sale north of $10k. What I really wanted was to save that case, so I found a fellow in Latvia, Juris Ramba (AMCA member) who has a very detailed process of saving old castings like this....so off to Latvia my cases went!

I’ve actually got some good pictures of his process and his progress on my cases, so I’ll post a couple of them tomorrow. Juris has restored several of his own bikes and he has a machining business, so working on my cases happens when he has the time. But I’m very happy with what I’ve seen so far!

Meanwhile....my Chief is my main entertainment!

Comment

• I'm glad you found someone with the skill to save your cases. There is so much intrinsic, and historic value in genuine parts, so I think it's always worth the extra effort and expense to save them. Thanks for the update, Harry and look forward to the pictures.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• Thanks Eric, as mentioned I sent my cases off to Juris Ramba in Lativa, Juris is an AMCA member and quite involved with old bikes. Latvia is an interesting country, not far from Poland, Germany, Sweden, and more (of course). Much like the rest of Europe Latvia has seen many changes in rule over the centuries and they fell into the Soviet Union for a time, but now they're independent again. During the Soviet time there were shortages of many things, machine tooling being one such thing, so the population, and people like Juris had to develop their own methods using a mixture of old technology and creative solutions to repair and keep things going.... I think this is a big reason Juris has the ability to repair things like 1930 engine cases. Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of some of the motorcycles Juris has restored, he had a show two weeks ago:

Enough history, but I'll leave it at I am happy I found him and I'm optimistic he has saved the case, now onto his process!

Comment

• I shipped the cases to Latvia with no guarantee he would be able to save them, he needed to see them first. I was happy to learn that he would give it a go, and he has kept me in the loop quite well with lots of pictures along the way. His first step is to put the case into a kiln at about 660 degrees F to drive the oil out of the pores, then he hydro blasts them clean and repeats the process again.

After cleaning he uses machine tooling to rout out the spider web of cracks and broken areas:

Then back into the kiln at 660 to preheat for welding:

During the welding he stops and re-heats the casting so it doesn't cool off too much, then continues welding:

Comment

• After the welding is complete, back in the kiln to relieve any stress and then he begins machining the case back to spec:

So, that's about it, though he's not finished yet. He reported to me last week that he inspected all the welds and they're good with no impurities or bubbles, and no distortion, the two case halves bolt up nicely!

Aside from this being an endorsement of Juris Ramba, I'm pretty psyched and satisfied that I gave it a shot to save this case. Of course I don't have the cases back yet, but Juris Ramba knows old motorcycles quite well and I have the confidence he has saved my crankcase.

Comment

• What a great find! And someone that like you, also does a great job providing progress pics. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

Comment

• It looks like you found a good guy.Work looks very nice.
                            Good luck with it.
                            Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
                              What a great find! And someone that like you, also does a great job providing progress pics. Looking forward to seeing the final results.
                              I agree. Your photos, progress reports are some of the best i have seen, Harry. Thank you for taking the time, and effort to do such good job of documenting such a good job
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

• ...the cases arrived yesterday and they look great I think. Turn around time was almost exactly 3 months. The pinion shaft bearing race, cam bushings, and cam follower pins will need to be made up as the repairs left slightly oversized bores for those. Now I recontact Danny Weil and hope he can fit me in sometime!

Last edited by pisten-bully; 09-09-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X