No announcement yet.

1940 sport scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, your Sport Scout is stunning, and that is why I think the '40 is the best looking full fendered SS. I would be anxious to hear of how it handles, and all around riding, and maintenance impressions. I'm asking because I know of a '41 SS that I could probably get, and I'm wondering if it's worth busting my behind to pursue. I don't have an Indian right now and it is driving me crazy. I've always loved them and I regret selling every one. I've always had Chiefs, and 4s, but I think I would like something very different. Your first hand knowledge would be very valuable to me.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I absolutely love this little bike. I am 5'11" and I could see how anyone taller might feel cramped as I am just a little. I have put about 3000 miles on this bike since I got it and can say it is a pleasure to ride. Very agile and stable. I can keep up with most 74"bikes except on long steep hills. It is real happy at 45-50 mph all day long and I have had it up 70 gps measured mph laying on the tank on a slight down hill. I've had it on several AMCA road runs and it has never let me down. Regular maintenance such as checking nuts/bolts and changing oil is all that is needed. Changing tires is an adventure though. Have to jack the bike up to do the front but the center stand is designed to lay the bike over so the rear slides right out. Also have to sit on it and think about left throttle, right shift, and reversed clutch operation before I go for a ride, however I'm just about over that now. Go for it, you won't be disappointed. I'm in the AMCA directory if you want to give me a call to talk more and I'll have this bike at Denton in May.
      Bob Selph
      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
      1940 Sport Scout
      AMCA#15215

Comment

Bob, thank you for your first hand knowledge of the Sport Scout; that helps me a lot in making a decision. I've know about this bike for at least 15 years and it has always been a back burner bike for my friends that have owned it. I like the idea of a vintage bike that is easy to ride, handles well, and doesn't weight a ton like most big twins. Your recommendations hold a lot of weight with me so if I really get serious about this '41, I'll give you a call. Also, I may be going to Denton so perhaps I'll see you, and that gorgeous '40 there.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Donkey farm, today, here's a dusty old trail horse for ya. In nearly 30 years of attending this meet going back to the Orlando days I've not seen this many Indians in proportion to HD's. In particular, there are more 40 and 41 Chiefs alone than all the Knuckles combined or even Sporties which I think is the featured machine this year. Pre war skirted Chiefs are not a common sight, ordinarily.

Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I absolutely love my 40' SS and have logged over 80K on her in the last 15 years since building her. I have learned a lot and am still learning things about Peaches. It can be a steep learning curve but well worth it in my opinion.
            Attached Files
            20scout

Comment

Great looking bike!
              Bob Selph
              1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
              1940 Sport Scout
              AMCA#15215

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
                I absolutely love my 40' SS and have logged over 80K on her in the last 15 years since building her. I have learned a lot and am still learning things about Peaches. It can be a steep learning curve but well worth it in my opinion.
                Great looking '40, and impressive that you put so many miles on it. That says a lot about your building skills, and the inherent qualities of the 45" Scout.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you but most of my mechanical skills came from trial and error, with some classrooms being conducted on the side of the road. No speed demon by any chance but at a steady pace of 50-55 mph will usually get you there, the secret being not to push her too hard. Plans are in the works for an extended trip out west this summer and I am confident Peaches will come through for me once again.
                  20scout

Comment

Working...
                  X