No announcement yet.

38 Indian Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice fix.I am now wondering if the set I recently ordered,also 38,will have the same issues.
    I thought I could use a set of 52-53 orig. brazed tanks that are on the self with some small tabs to fill the gap for the smaller dash but apparently the seat post bolt sits about 1/4" higher above the frame tube in a plunger frame and the tank mount tabs would have to raised to lower the tank to clear the seat mount.
    What happened to the rear trans mount?
    Tom

Comment

What happened to the rear trans mount?
      Tom
      It got trimmed off at some point, I have no idea why. I'm going to fab a piece to replace it.

Comment

Did a little electroless nickel plating. Tried this before with less than perfect results. Parts after they ere glass beaded.

Comment

Next they get boiled in an alkaline solution and wire brushed to remove and oil or other contamination.

Comment

They're in the soup now. This is part art & science trying to estimate the square inches and the mix of chemicals.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the parts out of the pot.

Comment

Comment

Your parts came out beautifully, Bill. I've used the Caswell electroless kit a number of times and have been quite happy with it. There is no doubt that a professional plater will do a professional job, but I like the convenience of keeping my parts at home, and having control over the amount of plating, and texture.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Electroless nickel plating? Why did I not know about this? I'm interested in learning more!

Kevin

Kevin
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

These are ABC generator parts I did for my Henderson, using the Caswell kit. Sorry for the detour, Bill.

Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

No worries exeric, it's all about sharing info & experiences. I used the Caswell kit too. My first attempt was something of a disaster. I didn't replenish my chemicals properly. Oh well, you live, you learn. Your parts look great. I'm looking forward to doing more hardware and other parts for the engine next.

Shakey Jake check out Caswell Plating at http://www.caswellplating.com/

They have all the kits & ingredients for all kinds of plating.

Comment

Thanks Bill. I've used the Caswell gas tank sealer a couple of times, but I bought it locally or on Amazon, so I never knew they had a website. It looks like they make all kinds of stuff.

Kevin

Kevin
                          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

This isn't too exciting but I'll show it anyway. As many rigid frame Indian owners know the sidestand is a poorly designed afterthought and find one that the arm is not broken off is rare and expensive. So I thought I would make a stab at repairing one. I have a repro that I can use for a pattern for templates

Last edited by Bills37; 08-20-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Rough cut the pieces out on the bandsaw.

Comment

After a little shaping & cleanup on the grinding wheel the pieces are ready to tack into place.

A little heat & bend to get the shape right.

Comment

Working...
                                X