xlch frame differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xlch frame differences

Howdy folks, I am in the fortunate situation where i have 3 ch's. A 65,66,and 67. The 67 is a DD, and the 66 is a ground up resto. I recently ended up with a 65 with a recent motor rebuild which runs great. Unfortunately, the frame didn't survive the 70's and has been raked to accept a 12" over springer. My question before the house is : were there any changes in the frames from 65 to 66 ? I am considering installing the 65 motor into my restored 66 roller as the 66 motor is in a million pieces. I know it'll fit, but I wont do it if there were casting differences or any changes in the frames from 65 to 66. Unfortunately, I dont own or know of a "Palmeresque" type reference on xl's. Thanks in advance !

Your frame is date coded. Anybody can spot it.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Lots of changes between a '65 and a '66. Oil tank, carb, seat, paint scheme,\, just to name a few very obvious ones. So despite fitting just fine, it will stick out to anyone who knows Sportsters. However, there aren't many folks around that do, so it is up to you.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks,all. I expected as much. Oh well, onwards to finishing the 66 motor ! I havent posted much here, but this forum has been invaluable to thefinishing of my 47 ohv and 53 pan. I have a couple Girdler books, which are great, but lack i the details of Palmers books. Any ideas on a proper reference for xl's and K's ?

Comment

The 65 frame is easy to spot.
          VPH-D

Comment

in what way ? if you dont mind me asking. My 66 has an uncut frame, but the 65's steering head has been raked and the frame molded. its a cryin shame...

Comment

Hey chopsickie you should check out the Harley Kmodel website they have some great information on earlier sportster frames plus other things to check out. Mark

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Mark . I will !

Comment

So de rake the neck back to stock and sand blasting will remove bondo unless tin plating has been welded in first. Still the thing is these parts are hard to near impossible find so to un do mods is worth the effort to my thinking.

Comment

Working...
                  X